Belgian Tripel bottle storage/conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndFloorBrew

Reaction score
i posted this on the bottling forum but wasn't getting any hits. thought i would try here...........I am going to bottle my Belgian Tripel tomorrow and wanted to know how to store the bottles. I have a temperature controlled cooler that i can use but i plan on conditioning them for 3 months at least. Should i keep the bottles at 72 degrees the whole 3 months? or should i keep them at 72 for a few weeks and then transfer to a fridge for cold storage until drinking? Ive been getting mixed answers from forums. Thanks for any help

I personally wouldn't chill them until they're ready to drink. Is there a cool dark place you can store them for the three months?

i have a wine cooler that i can put bottles in and control temp. i can use that no problem but what temp should i store at for 3 months?

72 for 3 months to carb and condition. At that point, you can chill a few. I just racked mine to secondary. I'll do that for 3, then bottle for three for consumption in the spring.

But keep in mind they may carbonate in as little as three weeks.

Keep them at 72 degrees for as long as you want to. I generally chill beer 48 to 72 hours prior to drinking. If they condition for 3 months at 72 degrees, then 2 days of chilling will be sufficient before serving. I know that many people here advise chilling for longer than 48 hours (I have even given this advice) but the long bottle conditioning time will ensure that the beer is fully carbonated. This should result in excellent, well-carbonated beer.

I actually just racked my Belgian tripel today. I was going to bottle it in 3 weeks from now! Is it really worth waiting 3 months to bottle (and then another three)?

Edit: I should mention that this is only my second Belgian tripel!

He was talking about bottle conditioning for 3 months. You COULD leave the beer in primary that long, but I doubt that the benefits would be that great. 3 weeks in primary is a good guideline, then bottle. You can bottle condition a strong brew like Tripel for a long time and get great results. I say bottle after 3 weeks and then bottle condition as long as needed.

I will condition at 72 then. That's what I thought but I guess I just wanted to hear some suggestions on other ways but thanks everyone for helping. Cheers!

Back