Belgian Tripel 96.6% attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a Belgian Tripel.... here's the recipe... i basically copied down what Jamil Z gave as a recipe in his "Brewing with Style" podcast.

14# Belgian Pilsner
4oz Belgian Aromatic
2.5 table sugar

2.5 oz Tettnanger 60 min
.5 saaz 10 min

I pitched and out of date White Labs - Trappist Ale yeast AL500. I grew it up in a yeast starter but it didn't look too active so I also pitched some Spencer Trapist Ale dregs I had been growing up on in some wort and stir plate.

I started the fermentation temp @ 64 F (17.7 C) (I've got a STC-1000 with celicus and ramped up 1/2 C until it reached 71 F

I checked the gravity yesterday and it's at 1.003. It started @ 1.088. Brewers Friend says that's 96.6% attenuation. It tastes good... just a little hot alcohol wise. Doesn't taste infected.

I don't normally brew Belgian beers... is this out of the norm?

What temp did you mash at?

Also, you have 2.5 table sugar on there... what is that? 2.5#? Oz?

What Temp did you mash At? Have you tried playing with the new mash temp feature in Brewers Friend? Set the Mash Temp and change it around a few degrees and watch the OG change.

What Temp did you mash At? Have you tried playing with the new mash temp feature in Brewers Friend? Set the Mash Temp and change it around a few degrees and watch the OG change.

I haven't messed with the feature you are talking about. I always have a confusing time entering the mash schedule in brewers friend.

OG or FG? OG should not change due to mash temps as long as its in the proper range (~148-158)

OK thanks. I'm hoping the alcohol heat calms down a little. I brewed it for a competition in October so it has several months to age.

Back