Belgian stout recipe critique/opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
*Questions at bottom*

Hey guys and gals! I am still a beginner brewer (bit by the bug, HARD) and I decided a week or so ago that this year I am going to gift out sample 6ers for the holiday season, all with a Belgian theme. I already have a spiced/raspberry Saison about to hit secondary, another saison I'll get going tomorrow, a pumpkin Dubbel planned for the following Friday and the final brew will be a Belgian Stout

For those who don't want to follow the link, the recipe is as follows:

14.5lb Pilsen
.5lb aromatic
.5lb roasted barley
.25lb biscuit
.25lb caraffa III

1oz Northern Brewer - 60min
.75oz East Kent Golding - 60min
.75oz East Kent Golding - 30min

After 2 weeks in primary, rack to secondary, add oak cubes 7-10 days before bottling.

Yeast: WY1762

Estimated OG 1.080
Estimated FG 1.018

My concerns are that this will end up being a very dry Porter with not much body. Would lactose help, or even fit into this recipe without altering it to much?

Brewersfriend says this will be 45IBUS, is that too hoppy/bitter for a stout??

I'm also thinking of throwing some rolled oats in just to ensure a thick creamy head. Would about .5lb be good, or is it unnecessary?

In secondary I'm thinking about throwing in some cherries and fresh vanilla beans since I will have some on hand. Does that sound good or am I trying to put 10lbs of s**t into a 5lb back?

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it! :mug:

Latest posts

Back