Belgian Rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncobble

Reaction score
I've never done a Belgian and have just made the transition to all grain. I am considering brewing a Belgian Rye Ale, but I'm not sure what kind of malt bill to use. Any ideas? I'll be using Belgian Ale yeast WLP550. I was thinking of using a few grains of paradise as well to give it a little more spicy notes. Any thoughts on this vs the spice character I may get out of the yeast? Thanks in advance!:mug:

I use rye a fair bit in all sorts of places. I am a huge fan and buy it by the sack.

I would use a wit type recipe and sub the rye for the wheat, or go 50/50 with the wheat. Be warned: rye malt can be very sticky in the mash. I would recommend rice hulls (1/2lb for a 5 gallon) unless you are very confident in your system. Rye flakes may be more forgiving, I have never used them.

Be patient with your sparge and be prepared for a zen type brew day and maybe it will all go just great!

I am not familiar with the character of that yeast, as I use WL400 or WL380.

Happy brewing. :mug:

For a 10 gallon batch...

Grain bill:
22 lbs. Pilsner malt
2.0 lbs. Rye malt
Mash temp of 150 for 60 min
2.0 oz Sterling AAU 5% at 60 min
1.0 oz of Styrian AAU 6% at 20 min

Back