Belgian parti-gyle, your thoughts please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
I've always wanted to do one of these things, and I figured I may as well do it with beers I'll want to drink. So I decided on a Quad/Saison duo. So here's what I've come up with so far:

2.5 gal Quad / 5 gal Saison split

Master grain bill:
12.0 lb Pilsner
1.0 lb Munich
1.0 lb White wheat

OG for 7.5 gallons @ 75% efficiency: 1.052
Assume 50/50 split of sugars between the two runnings (if it ends up being something else, that's what we have sugar for)

Quadrupel:
OG: 1.093
SRM: 17.9
IBU: 22.9
Yeast: Wy1214

6.0 lb Pilsner
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb White wheat
1.0 lb Amber candi sugar

0.75 oz Styrian Goldings, 90 min

Saison:
OG: 1.039
SRM: 3.6
IBU: 20.7
Yeast: Wy3711

6.0 lb Pilsner
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb White wheat

1.0 oz EKG - 75 min
0.25 oz Saaz - 15 min
1.0 oz Saaz - 0 min

Now here's another question: since these are using Pilsner malt and I want to do 90 minute boils, should I just add a 1/2 gallon of water to each running to compensate for the longer boil so as to not throw off my projected numbers? I'm guessing this whole ordeal will be a lot of guessing and checking, with a few on-the-fly fixes in order.

Ah, partigyle.... love it. Just did a Southeast Asian inspired Witbier and light American Wheat Lager split.

The first time I tried a partigyle I tried to focus on exact measurements and nailing numbers perfectly.... and it got stressful. Partigyle is one of those old-timey techniques that were done before brewing practices got meticulous.

So you could get really serious about it or just RDWHAHB and brew like the brewers of yore.

Ah, partigyle.... love it. Just did a Southeast Asian inspired Witbier and light American Wheat Lager split.

The first time I tried a partigyle I tried to focus on exact measurements and nailing numbers perfectly.... and it got stressful. Partigyle is one of those old-timey techniques that were done before brewing practices got meticulous.

So you could get really serious about it or just RDWHAHB and brew like the brewers of yore.

Yeah I'm just looking to get in the ballpark of my estimated OGs. If I'm horrendously under I'll add some DME or sugar to compensate, otherwise if it'll turn out to be beer in the end I'll be happy.

I agree with Reno. Love to partigyle but I think trying to hit exact numbers with it becomes too annoying so I just kinda wing it but that's just me.

I just did a Belgian Quad / Wee Heavy parti-gyle. I must do it differently, because I use the exact same mash (actually I topped it with a bit of choc malt before running off the Wee Heavy).

A few years ago I did a Barleywine / Mild parti-gyle that went very well. Exact same mash.

A refractometer makes this much, much easier.

I must do it differently, because I use the exact same mash (actually I topped it with a bit of choc malt before running off the Wee Heavy).

It appears that's how he's doing it, too. Just split the grain bill in half to represent each brew (notice they are each half of the grain bill with the exception of the added amber candi sugar.)

And I do the same as you do, usually: first runnings, then add some extra grain for the second runnings.

That's how I did my most recent one. Main grain bill was 6# wheat malt, 2# belgian pils. First runnings were a wit, then I added a pound of wheat malt and a pound of flaked corn for the second runnings (light American lager.)

A refractometer makes this much, much easier.

This thought has definitely crossed my mind. It's looking like I won't be able to brew again for a few weeks so hopefully I'll get my hands on one before I go through with this.

Back