Belgian Pale Ale... Pilsner ME??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronik

Reaction score
Went to a HBS today to pick up some more supplies. Decided to do one more extract w/ grains kit before i go to a PM... Got home and read the recipe it calls for 7lbs LME, what I got was 7lbs Pilsner.I used LME on my last kit wich is still settling, so I guess they are not one in the same... did the guy mess up and give me the wrong one??

Well, pilsner extract IS "LME."

"LME" is just a reference to liquid malt extract, which can be made from different types of base grains. A standard light/extra-light LME is usually made from a regular domestic 2-row malt. A Pilsner extract (also LME) is made using Pilsner malt as its base.

Pilsner malt is usually a little lighter in color and has a slightly different flavor than regular domestic 2-row, and actually in this case will get you a little closer to the style. Most Belgian ales start with a Pilsner malt as their base grain, so you're actually probably going to be a little closer to accurate.

In the end, though, the differences are very subtle. The beer will be good. RDWHAHB.

I was going to say that pilsner malt is exactly what you want to use for a belgian ale. Especially a pale.

Back