Belgian(ish) Honey Pale Ale Recipe, and process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had issues brewing Belgians in the past due to complete lack of yeast character, so I'm trying something different tomorrow. I'm not making a starter or aerating the wort, which I'm hoping will produce a beer that has esters and phenolics rather than tasting like it was fermented with plain old US05.

I'm planning to use the following recipe, though any feedback on this, my process, or anything else I can do to actually produce a Belgian style ale is welcome. I may or may not add actual honey in primary. I'll try to take this from brew day through to final tasting.

BELGIAN HONEY PALE ALE (6 gal, 1.056)
86% 2 Row
5% Victory
5% C40
4% Honey Malt
1 oz Hallertauer Trad @ 60
1 oz Sterling @ 15
WY 3787 Trappist High Gravity

Do a proper Belgian step mash. It does wonders to get the authentic Belgiany thing ☺️
I had the same problem with my single infusion Belgians, there was a night and day difference when I did the phenolic expression step mash. (both with dry yeast and liquid yeast+starter).
Check this out, it was the game changer for me:

http://counterbrew.blogspot.com.tr/2016/05/a-beer-geek-guide-to-step-mashing_24.html?m=1

Hmm, very interesting. I'll look into this.

I brewed yesterday, increasing both Victory and C40 by 1% each to 6% each of grist. I also went with all Hallertauer Tradition. I stayed with single infusion mash due to time limitations and wanting fewer variables. I will try step mashing the next Belgian though.

I didn't aerate the wort other than the usual splashing during transfer from kettle to primary. I pitched directly from the WY3787 smack pack into 6 gallons (23L) of 62F wort at 1.054. It was activated 24 hours prior to pitching, but no starter. This morning (12 hours after pitching yeast) there's a 1/2" thick solid layer of krausen across the top. This suggests to me that the recommended home brewing pitch rates I've been using may be higher than optimal.

Next up, attentuation level and ester/phenolics production. I'm tempted to top-crop as I've noticed that removing yeast increases yeast character in the final product, but doing so introduces another variable.

Fast fermentation. Pitched yeast Sunday afternoon at 62F. Raised to 68F over 24 hours, and to 75F over the next 12. Midday Tuesday and active fermentation is almost done. 3787 is a beast.

Latest posts

Back