Belgian holiday brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, as we are all aware of the holidays are right around the corner! I want to get a few brews done so I can give out some sampler 6'ers this year instead of some crappy gift nobody cares about lol.

The reason I am asking about Belgian beers is their heat tolerance, since I don't have any way to keep fermentation temps down in the 60's for a standard ale.

I have a spiced Saison in primary right now which will be racked onto a heap of raspberries and vanilla beans that I think will be good for my holiday theme. I would really like to get a Porter or a Stout in there almost as a warmer, but am unable to find a Belgian Stout recipe. A pumpkin Saison sounds interesting if anyone has any experience with one I would be very much appreciative! Any other thoughts?

Am I overthinking this? Would it really be as simple as finding a recipe that sounds good and simply using a Belgian strain of yeast or would that throw off the flavor profile?

Thanks for any and all help, as always! :mug:

Standard Belgiums are awesome, orange and coriander. High or low ABV, doesn't matter to me, just don't ask the wife!
Ommegang does some interesting stuff if you are adventurous but not too over the top. Me plain old Belgium high octane brew is fine

I wouldn't just assume that a Belgian yeast can handle any temperature, even though that's the common perception. I know Belle Saison/3711 are great for this, but both will dry out any beer you brew. Otherwise, try to stay in a controlled temp for at least a day or two. Jamil recommends starting at 64 for a Tripel, which you need control for (and then ramping up to 70).

3711 can attenuate below 5 during a nuclear blast. Nearly pitch it and forget it. It's a beast.

Pick your favorite malts, hops and ABV, and design something with it. Hop lighter so the yeast shines through.

I plan a Belgian Dubbel with Fig and Anise soon. Recipe was in BYO, won at NYC Homebrew Alley. I have not made it before.
I have used WLP530/Wyeast3787 in warm temps. My first Belgian went into the 80s with it and came out great.

Latest posts

Back