Belgian Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
So I am looking to recreate a local beer. They produce this beer once in awhile but not continuously which doesn't make sense to me because it's delicious and they only sell one beer. Their flagship beer is a belgian pale ale and the golden ale has some similar flavours, but it doesn't seem to fall into a belgian strong golden ale. Now I don't have any experience with these type of beers but heres some pictures of the can. My questions:

Do you think they use wyeast #1388 or just belgian yeast? At only 6% it is quite low compared to the strong profile. I am assuming the grain bill is just pilsner and instead of sugar they add the local honey. Herbal and floral hops...saaz? I am basically looking for someone that has a lot of experience with belgian ales and can help draw up a clone.
20190531_170737.jpeg
20190531_170731.jpeg

Stylistically, it seems like it resembles a Belgian Blond, so maybe take a look at BJCP and BA style guidelines. I think you are on the right track: Belgian yeast of your choice, Pilsner malt, honey to whirlpool or fermenter, and noble/noble-esque hops.

Only one way to know which yeast they use...

Sounds like maybe Hallertau, something noble, but a local (American?) craft brewer might use something completely different.

Only one way to know which yeast they use...

Sounds like maybe Hallertau, something noble, but a local (American?) craft brewer might use something completely different.
Canadian. Ya I am curious about mainly the yeast. It's quite peppery. I am gonna ask them at the next festival, but not everyone likes to answer.

If you can, See if you can find the email of the head brewer & ask him or her some questions. I have emailed Sam Adams brewer in the past & got some tips. It is worth a try...Good luck!

Back