Belgian Dubbel/DS brewed with Tamarind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvincent825

Reaction score
Following is my recipe, process, and what I'd do differently for one of the most delicious beers I've ever made/tasted. The base recipe is a stripped down version of an award winning Belgian Dubbel recipe that was adapted from the one found in Brew Like a Monk. My intention was for a nice red (achieved), slightly strong (achieved), Dubbel(ish) style beer with low to moderate ester character and a slight sourness from the addition of Tamarind in the boil. The beer came out amazing and is being entered as a fruit beer in the 2014 AHA competition.

Recipe for 5.5 gallons into fermenter:

9 lbs Dingemans Pilsner (68.6%)
12 oz Dingemans Biscuit (5.7%)
10 oz Weyermann Caramunich I (4.8%)
8 oz White Wheat Malt (3.8%)
4 oz Dingemans Special B (1.9%)
1 lb 80 SRM Belgial Candi Syrup (7.6%) beginning boil
1 lb Turbinado (7.6%) beginning boil
2.1 oz Tettnang (60 min boil) (25 IBU)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (15 min)
1.5 lbs Tamarind Fruit
WLP 500 Trappist Ale Yeast (260 B Cells)

Mash Schedule:
Mash in at 135˚F for 10 minutes
Step up to 152˚F for 60 minutes
Mash out at 170˚F for 10 minutes

For the Tamarind:
I used whole pods. The pods were cracked and the fruit deveined. I weighed 1.5 pounds of the deveined fruit. This was covered with about 3/4 gal of water and boiled for 1 hour. Once cooled I went in with gloved hands and removed the seeds from the fruit. The remaining Tamarind liquid was added to the last 15 minutes of the boil.

The kettle was whirlpooled 30 minutes to sediment the Tamatrub and chilled.

Yeast was pitched at 62˚F and only allowed to reach 66˚F over the course of 6 days. Primary was 10 days and secondary was 30 days. Pre-boil gravity was 1.047, post boil was 1.075, and final was 1.012. Beer was kegged, force carbed, and conditioned over another 30 days.

The Tamarind was a pain in the ass to work with the way I approached it. There are other Tamarind products available, but many are concentrates with high sodium levels or other preservatives. Next time (which will be soon) I will still use pods, double the weight, and just throw the deveined flesh into grain bags and put in the kettle at the beginning of the sparge.

This recipe yielded one of the most unique and delicious beers I've ever encountered. I hope someone else will try the recipe. If you've got any questions or comments please let me know.

This sounds really good, I'm going to add it to my brew list for sure! I do mostly Belgians and love tamarind so why not

I hope it comes out as good for you as it did for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, there are products available. I just haven't found any that give the same fullness of flavor you get from the pods. I've cooked with several of them and just haven't liked them as much. Just my own snobbery I guess...

Yeah there are plenty of Asian and Latin markets around here, not to mention they usually have whole fresh tamarind at the grocery store, I might boil it up with some candidates syrup.

Nice recipe. Any suggestion for how much tamarind paste to use if going that route? Since it is concentrated I would assume quite a bit less. Thanks!

The paste usually comes in a 1 lb package. I'd start with half, taste it, and adjust up to your taste. I could see using the whole pound without it being too much.

Next time I use tamarind I'll stick with the pods, crack them and pull the flesh out, and throw them in a hop bag for the whole boil.

Back