Belgian Blond w/ Brett WL-645

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelliPhel

Reaction score
Ive recently brewed a Blond ale thats in the primary now with Abbey Ale (WL-530). I want to add honey and Brett Claussenii (WL-645) but am curious as when to is the best time to add. I understand that brett is slow and am hoping to give it a little more sugar and hopefully a little more time to work more quickly than a few months. Here's the recipe and notes. any feed back would be great

For a 5 gallon batch, 5.4 G end boil volume.

Grist:
2.75# Pale 2-row
2.75# Pils
2.75# Wheat Malt
.5# Carapils

Mashed at 152 F for 45. Batch sparged and a 1.032 preboil gravity @ 6.25G. this was my first time batch sparging and obviously ME was crap (@ 61%), so its now a Belgian Blond Session Ale

1oz Leaf German Spalt @ 40mins
1oz Leaf German Spalt @ 10mins

CF chilled only to 76 F. But aerated and pitched and placed in tub with T-shirt and water. Next morning at 64 F and plenty of fermentation activity. Keeping the fermentation cool; well under 70, shooting for 60-65. Its the fourth day since pitching (no SG reading taken yet) and I'm confused as when to add the brett.

I was contemplating adding 1# of honey to the primary on top of the 530 and adding the brett on the 5th day of activity (tomorrow). Hoping there will be a little wort sugar and enough honey for the Brett to get active and produce a significant amount of character rather quickly. Ill be heading out of town right after i pitch the honey and brett for the weekend and will let the fermenter out of the tub and warm up to room temp ~70-74 F.

Any thoughts or experience with this will be extremely helpful. Thanks

Back