Belgian beers finally tried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo4361

Reaction score
This week I had training in Denver, and found Applejacks off of I70. Finally got to try Rochefort 6 and 10, (mindblowingly excellent) Orval, (not quite what I was expecting) Duvel, (also love it) Karmeliet (great) and still have an Abt 12 in the fridge. Also got to go to the Falling Rock tap house downtown. I love WY but the beer selection down here has made this a great trip! None of the above are available where I am in BFE. Had to share my happiness with people who would understand, Prost!

Steve

Yes, Belgian brews are excellent. I had the opportunity to drive through the town of Rochefort last summer during a work trip and enjoyed several great beers at a local pub. I was also able to tour through La Chouffe, which was simply amazing. Hope to tour through Belgium again "for work" next month.

Belgium is just excellent,

I have been a good few times, at least once a year.. the best time i have found to go is around Christmas time, as all the breweries make their version of a Winter beer, normally a little stronger and a little more special,

What i tend to do is try a different beer every chance i get (which in Belgium is very easy as there is such a vast choice)

There is a couple of great places to pick in Brussels but if you can get out to Brugge i believe its the best, its a smaller town, but there is two or three great bars with a massive selection, friendlier bar staff than Brussels as in Brugge you have alot more flanders and alot less French which i have found are not the friendliest people.

my favourite beer so far in my many trips is a beer from the "halve maan" brewery in Brugge, Actually if you go for the tour its a great tour.. they make an unbelievable quadruppel called Straffe Henrik.. what i find about a few of the super strong belgium beer is that the flavour is taken over by the candy sugar they use.

In this beer its a super nice malty taste with less candy sugar flavour than most, its like liquorice, spices and just a beautiful beer. Do sip this one as its 11% ABV.

Actually writing this post is making me want to go back there right now. Roll on August.

"halve maan" brewery in Brugge

+1 on Brugge.

I took the brewery tour a few years ago myself.

I met a local, "Paul," in a bar one day. He took me on a guided tour of Brugge for free. Paul also took away my Duvel and handed me a Gulden Draak. He told me that Duvel is considered the Budweiser of Belgium.:eek:

haha +1 on the Duvel being the Budweiser of Belgium,

For a small country they really do make a huge amount of extremely good beers..

Brugge is also an amazingly beautiful town, so if the missus isnt a fan of beer there is a wonderful town to walk around and check out.

Luckily mine is as much of a beer fan as i am. Hurray

Back