Beginners Blues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robange

Reaction score
Ok, just attempted 1st batch of beer last night. Here are 2 known mistakes, let me know what you think will be affected. This was for red ale that called for 5lbs of DME and used 6lbs on accident because they were 3 lb bags, in the excitement of every thing I just dumped both bags. I also forgot any kind of clarifier(irish moss or gelatin). Am I just looking at an ultra malty beer thats cloudy? Other than that I feel like everything went smooth (except maybe a slight boil over:( but this was done outside)

You have a slightly higher abv...not a big deal. As to not using the moss, I forget 50% if the time to add it, and can't really tell the difference either way.

Your beer will be fine.

If these are your big mistakes. Then I'd say you had a very good first brew day. I could have made a long laundry list of things I did wrong on my first brew. Still the beer came out fine.

thanks for the that. I assumed I wasnt the first to do this or the last, so knowing its happened and it can still turn out ok is fine with me, thanks again

you have a stronger beer my friend. And I didn't start using Irish moss until batch 4 or 5. It does make things a little clearer, but oh well, it's just vanity. I bet you'll be very pleased. Congrats on your first brew!

Latest posts

Back