Beginner Yeast Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitz10035

Reaction score
I am 2 batches into my beer brewing experience. I have two questions related to the wort temperature being to high when yeast was added.

1: I added yeast in both batches without chilling the wort. The first batch did show signs of fermentation after 24 hours and continued for about four days. It was an Amber brewing kit. I bottled it and it has been aging in the bottles for about two weeks now. Today, I made the same mistake with a Red Ale kit. Should I be concerned with the final taste and product?

2: Also, my beginning specific gravity has read low on both batches. Is this due to the high temperature?

Needless to say, I will be chilling the wort in future batches. Just a concerned newbie here wondering what these first two batches are going to taste like and if they are ruined?

Thanks for your responses.....

1. What temperature do you think the wort was when you pitched it? If it was cool enough not to kill the yeast, then you'll likely get some fruity/estery flavors but I bet the beer will fine. Definitely chill next time, at least to below 70F before pitching, 62-64 even better for an ale.

2. Yes, reading at a higher temperature will give you a low reading. Here is a Chart that shows the rough conversion. A lot of people say that you should at least cool it below 90-100F to get an accurate reading, the higher conversions can be off.

Back