Beginner words of wisdom to brew by

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
Hello forum,

After reading the threads for the past week and a half, I have made the jump. Ordered beginner kit from Midwest supplies with Hex nut brown ale recipe ( wifes favorite type of beer to get her on board). My plan is to follow with an Amarillo ale recipe to enjoy for oyster roasting season. Any suggestions on a good Amarillo ale kit is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the great information. I have summarized my learning as follows for my first batch:

1. Clean, sanitize, sanitize and sanitize
2. Patience and time are your ally for fermenting and aging in bottles.
3. Full boil wurt whenever possible (just watch out for hop utilization differences)
4. Make a yeast starter for dry or liquid yeast. (Don't need another "why hasn't fermentation started" thread)
5. Keep wurt within yeast fermentation temperature range
6. Have two identical hydrometer readings within a couple of days time frame to insure fermenting is complete.
7. Relax, don't worry and have a home brew (Or in my case a new growler from Charleston beer exchange until my homebrew pipeline is filled)
8. Air is your friend and enemy. Know when it is your friend and aerate well to get the process starte. Tx, Kevmoron

Have I missed any other pears of wisdom for a newbie?

With those 7 items, I'd say you're on your way to many excellent beers.

(one nit, no yeast starter for dry yeast, it's cheaper and easier to just use more yeast)

With those 7 items, I'd say you're on your way to many excellent beers.

(one nit, no yeast starter for dry yeast, it's cheaper and easier to just use more yeast)

Yeah, bil's right there is no need to make a starter with dry yeast. Otherwise it is a nice clear cut pimer on getting started. Salut!

But DO rehydrate!

Well, that one has been debated and hashed to death on here a lot, and you find different views on it. I no longer rehydrate, since about my first year of brewing and reading on the fermentis website about sprinkling on aerated wort, letting it sit on the surface for 15-30 minutes and then gently swirling.

Be sure to aerate the heck out of it once the wort is cooled and before pitching, and it doesn't hurt to add a little yeast nutrient for extract batches.

Kevmoron,

Thanks, I forgot that one.

8. Air is your friend and enemy. Know when it is your friend and aerate well to get the process started. Added above too.

Also, take lots of measurements and notes throughout. Keep a journal as you brew so that you can duplicate your efforts in the future and consult it for hindsight.

9. Chill as quickly as possible by whatever method you have at your disposal.

as a new brewer i think..

10. don't lose heart when your brew doesn't come out as expected, just learn from your mistakes and try again :D

Latest posts

Back