Beginner questions about taking gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

five0matt

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything using search. I am currently deployed, but I want to try home brewing when I return from Afghanistan this fall. I plan on buying one of the "ale pail" brewing kits. My question is, how do you take the hydrometer readings to check for FG, before moving to secondary or to the bottling bucket without opening the lid and introducing oxygen? I assume the reading for starting gravity is taken just after pitching the yeast before you seal the fermenter up. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to do as much research as I can over the next few months so I have a good understanding prior to beginning my first brew. Thanks in advance for the help.

Matt

Don't take your readings in the ferementer. Put a sample and of the wort/beer in the plastic tube your hydrometer comes packaged in and read in that. Open the lid carefully so as not to jostle the beer around and take a sample of the beer, either with a wine thief or by siphoning a small amount out. Take your OG reading before pitching. After drawing the sample into the tube, I'll drop the hydrometer in, spin it to help dislodge any bubbles and just let it sit for at least ten minutes before reading it.

Stay safe!

Good call with researching.You take a sample of your cooled wort after the boil when cool.Ive been dipping a ladel in last of the boil then cooling it seperate for the hydrometer reading so i dont have to stick utensils in it when the wort cools.This is the Origional gravity, then you take a sample 2 + weeks after fermentation usually i do three weeks right before botteling almost always.Fermentation can be complete within a week or even days but its not suggested to bottle much before 2 weeks. For the final gravity reading i use a sanitized baster then just drink the sample after the reading.

Ok, I knew to take a sample in a seperate vessel, I just didn't know it was ok to open to use a baster to pull the sample out. I will make sure to sanitize before hand though. Thank you so much for the reply.

Also, :off: are there any major fundamental differences or advantages/disadvantages from using buckets vs a carboy?

When using a bucket fermenter I always just put the hydrometer right in the fermenter. As long as you are VERY sanitary you should have no issue with this...

Also, :off: are there any major fundamental differences or advantages/disadvantages from using buckets vs a carboy?

Buckets are a 1000X easier to use, but carboys are so much cooler to watch.

You'll determine your own personal preference.

mrduna01 said:
When using a bucket fermenter I always just put the hydrometer right in the fermenter. As long as you are VERY sanitary you should have no issue with this...

I used to do this with floating thermometers in my boil kettle until I heard all the horror stories of them breaking and having to dump the 5 gallon batches. Pull a sample, then you have something to taste as well.

Get both you would need something to rack to anyway to bottle,may as well get a bottleing bucket.I do small batches lucked out found 2 gallon wide mouth glass jars with wood lids for 5 bucks.Easy to clean fun to watch,peace of mind being able to see whats going on too especially starting out.the thing with buckets it seems alot of people depend on the airlock for whats going on,If you get a bucket and the airlock doesnt bubble dont be surprised they can not be sealed tite wich is not a bad thing,just dont worry if you dont see it bubbleing sometimes.Both are good- check out the pros and cons sticky at the beginning of this forum.

kable said:
I used to do this with floating thermometers in my boil kettle until I heard all the horror stories of them breaking and having to dump the 5 gallon batches. Pull a sample, then you have something to taste as well.

I actually use a baster to remove less than an ounce just to take a sip of when sampling but would rather not take out a sample large enough for a hydrometer test. That's just me though.

mrduna01 said:
I actually use a baster to remove less than an ounce just to take a sip of when sampling but would rather not take out a sample large enough for a hydrometer test. That's just me though.

I hear ya. That was one of the reasons I moved to a refractometer.

I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything using search. I am currently deployed, but I want to try home brewing when I return from Afghanistan this fall. I plan on buying one of the "ale pail" brewing kits. My question is, how do you take the hydrometer readings to check for FG, before moving to secondary or to the bottling bucket without opening the lid and introducing oxygen? I assume the reading for starting gravity is taken just after pitching the yeast before you seal the fermenter up. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to do as much research as I can over the next few months so I have a good understanding prior to beginning my first brew. Thanks in advance for the help.

Matt
First of all thanks for your service to US all state side from a former sailor.

I use a spray bottle of Star San and spray all around the lid/bucket connection and spray my hands. Then I open the bucket. It's full of beer and CO2 both of which are heaver than O and thus none will really come in contact w/the beer. I use a sanitized turkey baster to remove the sample .

Good luck in your brewing :mug:

Thanks for all the info, I checked out the pro/con thread. I'll be buying a kit a few weeks before I get back so it's there waiting for me. I saw one that had 2 BB carboys an ale pail and a bottling bucket with a bunch of other accessories for around $130 I believe, I'll probably end up getting something like that so I have more options. If anyone knows of a local place to get supplies in Hawaii, I'd love to know. Thanks again.

Back