Beginner Impatient to get started.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckmyale

Reaction score
So, I jumped on the recent LivingSocial deal and purchased the Beginner's Brewing Kit from Midwest. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/beginner-s-brewing-kit.html

I don't want to go out an by 2 cases of bottles, as I ran this past the wife, and she gave the OK for Kegging!!! The only problem is I can't purchase the Keg stuff until Summer :(
So I want to wait and brew the entire Amber Ale kit that came with the equipment, when I get the Keg stuff.

However, I want to at least try stuff out, as this is a new toy and I want to play with it.

Any suggestions? I didn't want to go out and buy empty bottles. I'm starting to accumulate some empty bottle (possibly for a 1G or 2.5G batch).

There is a Northern Brewer 40 mins away, so quickly picking something up I think should be easy.

Thanks

I don't think I've bought any 12 oz bottles, all are scavanged from friends. you need popers not screw caps. Also, while not great, you can reuse 20oz or 16 oz soda bottles. They keep for about 6 months before going flat, and it sounds like you will drink it all before that. Don't use 2L bottles, they work, but who wants to drink 66oz (about a 6pack) of beer in one shot?

Don't use any bottle that hasn't held beer or soda - that is something carbonated. Water bottle aren't made to handle the preasure

My LHBS sells empty bottles for $12 for a case. I go the route of just buying good beer, and using the bottles. You can also ask your friends for empties. Some people ask bars, although I've never done this myself. Most non-screw top bottles will work. De-labeling can be kind of a pain, but it isn't that bad. Just soak the bottles in some Oxy-Clean, Baking Soda and hot water for about an hour and most labels will fall right off.

Don't wait if you don't have to, just tell your friends and co-workers to save you pry top beer bottles. You will have 48 before you know it. I saved 23 pry top bottles from a family birthday party. Once you start looking, it is easy as pie to get a bottle collection up.

Thanks guys. I have 2 uncles that each own their own bar, they are saving bottles for me...but I have feeling most of them are going to be Corona.

I have to dig up a boiling pot (FatherInLaw is looking for their Turkey Fryer that they never used).
I think I just need to purchase an auto-siphon (my racking cane came broke, and some Star San.

Corona are no good. You need brown bottles. Clear bottles will cause your beer to get skunky. If you use them, make sure you keep them somewhere dark.

Yeah, racking canes suck anyway. Definitely get an auto-siphon.

Sounds like you are on your way. Good luck!

Corona are no good. You need brown bottles. Clear bottles will cause your beer to get skunky. If you use them, make sure you keep them somewhere dark.

Yeah, racking canes suck anyway. Definitely get an auto-siphon.

Sounds like you are on your way. Good luck!

Just curious, but wouldn't it only matter if the bottles were exposed to sunlight? Assuming he stores them away from sunlight, shouldn't it not matter? I don't know too many people who store their beers in direct sunlight, homebrew or not.

Just curious, but wouldn't it only matter if the bottles were exposed to sunlight? Assuming he stores them away from sunlight, shouldn't it not matter? I don't know too many people who store their beers in direct sunlight, homebrew or not.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is always SOME exposure . . . and brown bottles limit the effect of that exposure. Remember, direct light is the worst, but even indirect light can affect beer over long enough periods of time . . . you want to limit what light gets at your beer.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is always SOME exposure . . . and brown bottles limit the effect of that exposure. Remember, direct light is the worst, but even indirect light can affect beer over long enough periods of time . . . you want to limit what light gets at your beer.

Right, even brown bottles aren't a 100% barrier. I had an off-flavor in my first few batches. Originally I thought it was the extract twang that some people mention, but I think I nailed it down to light skunking. I used to store my beer for bottle conditioning (all in brown bottles, mind you) in my basement in a room with a small south facing storm window. It was still fairly dark in there, but they probably got some indirect sunlight, and maybe some direct sunlight at certain times of the day. I think that was enough to skunk them, as when I left a six-pack of my brew on my kitchen table for a few days that gets a lot of sun, the off-flavor was much more pronounced. Now I throw a blanket over them while bottle-conditioning.

Back