Beginner from central NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnthesheep

Reaction score
I'm from central NC and live within a mile of three local breweries and within 20 minutes of about a dozen.

I got into this being an engineer that likes to garden and tinker. I can program and do electrical design. I can weld, a little bit, more like hot glue gun with a mig.

My favorites from the store are:
-local White Street Kolsch
-Ayinger Celebrator
-Estrella

Favorite budget/big corp beer:
-Yeungling

The goal at some point is to scale up after learning enough to be able to only buy an occasional beer from a store and be self sufficient.

I started off slow last fall. I bought some buckets and sanitary lids from Lowes and some fittings and tubing and made a bucket fermenter for about $15. I use a mason jar with water for the airlock. I like this idea better than a carboy for some reason. Glass is transparent, your only available opening would be in the top, etc....... I'll replace the plastic buckets someday with stainless.

I started off as simple as possible and made hard cider. The first batch was drinkable, barely. I was not patient enough to let it finish and settle. Lesson learned. The second batch was drinkable enough that the wife even drank some of it, and she's really picky. No carbonation either time, it was still.

For the second batch I bought swing top bottles.

My third batch goes into a keezer tonight. I found a "Kolsch" recipe online for about 5 gallons and gave it a shot. I put it in quotes because I live in NC, therefore it's just a style since I don't live in Koln. The third batch smelled awesome while cooking on the stove. It appears a little darker than I thought it would going into the fermenter. Almost more like an Altbier or something. I used paint strainers for the grains in the pot. Had very strong airlock activity for about a week. It's tapered off but still going. It's now time to go into the keezer at 50 F or so for a while.

For the fourth batch I'm going to buy a large electric burner plate and use the same controller for the keezer for that. Or repurpose my Arduino setup. I have some thermocouples and signal conditioners hooked up to a program that has a webpage. The webpage allows temp setpoint modification and some digital input/output interaction and shows the current thermocouple readings. The arduino would just require a larger relay to interact with the burner plate.

I really want the the next batch to be much more automated in the temp control department while being heated. I had to babysit the Kolsch for about 3 hours to follow the recipe properly. This was a little adventurous for a beginner.

I'm thinking about sacrificing one of the bottle tops to drill/tap a pressure gauge on one of them. I heard stories of the bottle bombs and can prevent this with quality glass and the right priming sugar, but this would give me a little advanced warning.

No pictures yet, plastic buckets aren't exciting. I'll post results once this batch is done.

Welcome to the board!

You have a lot of skills that could get you in trouble here!! :)

You can tweek modify and improve just about any part of the process.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Grew up in Sanford, live in NW Raleigh. I'm a 1/2 mile from Gizmo, 1.5 from Lonerider, and 1.5 from Lynwood Brewing Concern.

I mis-spoke, still learning, but I don't have a keezer. I rigged up a minifridge to a temp controller so I can lager or cool-ferment. Whatever you call that.

I'd really like to tour and talk to folks at Double Barley and Draft Line. There are professional connections there at those through my employer and would like to support some good folks by taking home something new to drink. Just been too busy with kids at home and work. Maybe I can get a sitter and the wife and I can head out on a date sometime.

I have automation/engineering stuff down, so can kludge together some neat stuff. But, I don't have a strong biochemistry background. I have some reading and trial/error to do to learn about this hobby.

I don't like to only follow directions and recipes, I like to learn to appreciate the "why" and the "how we got to doing it this way today from centuries ago".

Back