Beginner Equipment Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bfrosolone said:
Hi Everyone,

I got a Groupon deal for a Midwest Beginner Kit (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html). Any recommendations on what else to add to this kit? The reviews I read also say to get a thermometer, autosiphon and a spring loaded bottle filler. I know I will need a pot and bottles too.

Thanks

That kit comes with a bottle filler. So you can knock that off your list.
Pot
Something to heat said pot
Auto siphon
Digital thermometer
Wine thief

I would either look at the LHBS for bottles or start collecting from friends. If you have a bar you frequent give them a bin and they will toss empties in it for you. You will need to sort out the screw ons.

You might want to grab a scale. It really needs to go down to 10ths of an ounce at least.
Maybe some hops sacks.

Sounds silly, but I am convinced that I make better beer after having bought a Really Big Spoon :)

The autosiphon is a definite plus. For spousal support, I also picked up a plastic bin to keep everything nice and neat, and a bunch of quart sized zip top bags since a lot of supplies come in non-resealable plastic bags.

blakelyc said:
Sounds silly, but I am convinced that I make better beer after having bought a Really Big Spoon :)

The autosiphon is a definite plus. For spousal support, I also picked up a plastic bin to keep everything nice and neat, and a bunch of quart sized zip top bags since a lot of supplies come in non-resealable plastic bags.

+1 on the storage bin. Even if you don't have a SWMBO it makes it neater, and you always know where your hydrometer is.

This just occurred to me that I should have done from the begging - pick up more cleaner and sanitizer.

Extra airlock, large spoon, 10ish gallon pot and propane burner if you can swing it (for full boils), hydrometer, quality thermometer.

I bought the same kit a few months back. As stated earlier, the auto siphon comes in really handy. The big spoon is handy too. Don't forget some star san. Are you going to but the Midwest kits as well? If so, the come with a grain bag and premeasured hops so you're good there. The bigger brew kettles come in very handy as well.

Good luck!

My biggest advice is go to the hardware store and get a spray bottle (like a windex bottle) and fill it with Star-San. One of the most important things in brewing is cleanliness. Anything that touches your wort needs to be sterilized. Give your post boil equipment a squirt if there is any question about it being sterile.

Back