Before I purchase this kettle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesanch

Reaction score
I want to know if anyone else here has used it and what they think of it. Well here it is Winware 60 qt SS stock pot.

I want to eventually move up to 10 gallon batches but will probably start out at 5 gallons doing 6.5-7 gallon boils. Has anyone experienced any issues boiling 1/3 - 1/2 volume of the kettle?

Any other comments are appreciated.

I do 5 gallon batches in a keggle (about the same size)... no issues with that volume.

It looks like a good pot to me

The dimensions on that pot are a bit confusing...I would want one that is at least as tall as it is wide. Preferably a couple inces taller than it is wide...but that is just my preference.

Id rather go with this only because there is more info on it but it does look like a nice pot, just not enough info like how thick it is.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7486

I believe these are the same pots! The handles are indentical.

Nice pot, but for that money you could get an entire turkey fryer set up and do full boils outside. Of course the pot would be aluminum but that is no big deal as a start up rig.

I would steer clear of aluminum - just a personal preference from a person who has spent many years in kitchens! And, I don't really have a good reason to back it up! :cross:

Great price on what appear to be a good pot. "Encapsulated bottom" seems to infer that it does have a layered base. Free shipping, too!

Are you planning on adding a valve?

I believe these are the same pots! The handles are indentical.

The amazon one has a polished ring around the top, whereas the midwest one doesn't

I would steer clear of aluminum - just a personal preference from a person who has spent many years in kitchens! And, I don't really have a good reason to back it up! :cross:

Cause there is no good reason!

If you are planning to do 10 gallon batches I would suggest that a 60 quart pot is a tad small. You could do it but you will have to watch it like a hawk until the hot break is over.

The winware/winco pots are great, and that is a great price. They are from China and are the "NSF" pots you see around a lot of places. I have the 8 gal version and it is a great pot.

Nice pot, but for that money you could get an entire turkey fryer set up and do full boils outside. Of course the pot would be aluminum but that is no big deal as a start up rig.

I already have a high-pressure propane burner for full boils, just no kettle big enough for 5+ gallon batches.

If you are planning to do 10 gallon batches I would suggest that a 60 quart pot is a tad small. You could do it but you will have to watch it like a hawk until the hot break is over.

That was the plan... I have some experience with FermCap-S and it's awesomeness so I'm not too worried about boilovers. What pot would you recommend then for 10 gallon batches?

That was the plan... I have some experience with FermCap-S and it's awesomeness so I'm not too worried about boilovers. What pot would you recommend then for 10 gallon batches?

I'm not saying you can't do 10 gallons in it but it will be tight. I would recommend an 80 quart pot as this is the most common size up from the 60 quart. A keggle is always a good alternative. I use a keggle and I do 5 gallon batches in it. It works great. Just my opinion.

I'm not saying you can't do 10 gallons in it but it will be tight. I would recommend an 80 quart pot as this is the most common size up from the 60 quart. A keggle is always a good alternative. I use a keggle and I do 5 gallon batches in it. It works great. Just my opinion.

I think 80 qt would be over kill for the majority of my brews. I think I'll chance it and stick with the 60.

I bought this pot, but it arrived dented. Returned it to Amazon since they are out of stock.

Anyone have any other 60 qt pots they recommend for around the same price (~ $150)?

I have one that i was thinking of selling. its a 62.5 gallon pot with SS ball valve, and dip tube. I can take a picture of it if you are interested.

It is super heavy duty and has the three ply bottom.

I am currently using an E-Keggle.

PM me if interested

I have one that i was thinking of selling. its a 62.5 gallon pot with SS ball valve, and dip tube. I can take a picture of it if you are interested.

PM me if interested

PM Sent...

One issue you may have with this pot. It looks like the inside is brushed stainless. Brushed stainless takes a little longer to clean. Just my opinion.
I used to have a similar pot.

PM me if interested

Might want to adjust your size. I am not sure if you meant "quarts" or maybe 6.25 gallons?

Aren't keggles 60qts? Don't a lot of guys do 11g batches in them?

umm a keggle is 15.5 gallons ,62 qts .... And keggle's are for the most part the norm for 10 gallon brewers .So why would you say its a little tight using a 60 qt pot ? Its just a little wider and shorter . Not arguing with ya just wondering why you feel that way .

Edit: Synovia is quicker at typing than me

I wonder the same thing. I currently use a 15 gallon kettle for my 5 gallon batches and think it would be too small for 10 gallons. I see a lot of recommendations for having your kettle be twice as big as your batch, so a 20 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches. Yet so many people use keggles at 15.5 gallons. Maybe keggle users can chime in here. Do you need to add anything to prevent boilovers?

15.5 gal. keggles are perfect for 10 gal. batches. The only reason I got one was I wanted to move up to 10 gal. batches and my 40qt. pot was too small. I now use it for an HLT.

Just last Saturday I brewed a big Dubbel - biggest grain bill and pre-boil I'd ever done. Pre-boil wort going into the keggle was 14 gals. and I had no issues. Just watched closely at hotbreak to control any potential boilovers. Typically, the pre-boil will be ~12 gals. and boilovers are less of an issue.

I wonder the same thing. I currently use a 15 gallon kettle for my 5 gallon batches and think it would be too small for 10 gallons. I see a lot of recommendations for having your kettle be twice as big as your batch, so a 20 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches. Yet so many people use keggles at 15.5 gallons. Maybe keggle users can chime in here. Do you need to add anything to prevent boilovers?

I used a keggle for about a year and half you need to watch it but its not something that happens often. I had a boil over in a keggle doing a 5 gallon batch because I got distracted .There are several ways to stop a boil over ,a fan placed next to the top or my method is to just keep a spray bottle of water and mist it when it gets out of hand , knocks the foam right down.

My next brew will be with a 30 gallon boil pot I am moving up to 20 gallon brews .

Hmm. A keggle sounds big enough for 10 gallon batches and is an interesting option to go with, but I don't have the tools to convert one. I don't even know where to even begin looking for a legal one.

Latest posts

Back