BeerTools Pro fly sparge issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am brewing a Double IPA soon and was using BeerTools Pro to calculate my water. The sparge calculation seemed way off to me. There is 18.66 pounds of grain for a 7 gallon batch. 1.29l/lb puts my strike water at 6 gallons. Beer tools estimates I will run off about 3.87 gallons.(not so sure about that number either) Then it calcs the sparge water @ 9.33 gallons. Seems like way to much to me. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the link, I didn't find that thread. I do check that box that is supposed to give you the amount you need to meet your final run off. Checked it and it is still giving me this crazy sparge volume. I guess it is a bug in the software.( I use a mac, not sure if that matters). I will stop sparging when I get the volume I need, but I would like the program to work for me a little. I used to batch sparge, but have recently started fly. So it is kind of new to me.

In the fly sparge editor, check "lock" on the collected amount, then change "available" to zero. That's how much water/wort you'd leave in the tun if you were sparging until you've collected your preboil amount. If you want to run the tun dry, zero available will get you there. When I do it, it comes out to 4.64 gallons to sparge with.

Back