Beersmith recipe tinkering success!! so far

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
I posted a bazillion questions about converting an all grain to partial mash on beersmith. It is definitely not just as simple as hitting the "convert" button. Anyway, I stressed about it for a week and dialed in numbers to adjust for many modifications I made and the equipment/set up I have, brewed it tonight and while the beersmith number for OG was 1.070, the measured was 1.069. Dang, that was a good feeling. Now let's see if my first yeast starter does the job! Fun stuff, thanks all.

that musta been a good feeling. hitting numbers is always fun. ill bet it taste great

I discovered that (to me) the easiest way to convert all grain to partial mash was to first keep all of the speciality grains as is. Next, cut the base grain down by roughly half, then add in about three quarters of that weight in extract. From there, it's pretty easy to play with the numbers to get it right.

One thing I did notice was that PM recipes seem to have slightly higher numbers on both OG and FG when compared to the AG version - so keep this in mind, as you may have to ever so slightly adjust your hops to keep it all in balance.

Back