Beersmith recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jq1n

Reaction score
Ok, noob question.
The "boil size" in the recipe is 8.48 gallons. I assume this means that I have to either get that much wort or top up the kettle to that amount with water to make that much wort? If that is correct why is that? Why is it so much more than other recipes? Will my kettle boil off more of certain types of wort? I assume that this is what that number means but wanted to ask to make sure before I screw up a recipe.
Thx

Screenshot_2015-08-20-22-19-29.jpg

How much do you usually boil off? 8+ gallons is a LOT to boil off, so something is wrong with your settings if you normally start with 6.5 gallons or so.

Is this your recipe with your equipment, or someone else's? I'm guessing their equipment is rather unique, and they may allot substantial amounts to trub loss and chiller, along with an abnormally high boiloff. If the target for their gear is 6.5 gallons post-boil, losing a gallon between trub and chiller, then boiling off the remaining is 2 gallons is still quite a bit, but I could see it being feasible. With my heat sticks I used to go from 6.5 gallons to 5 gallons in 60 minutes, and 7 to 5 in 90.

This is not my recipe. I was just searching around for honey brown recipes and found this one. It seemed like a huge boil size so I thought that I had better do some learning.

I've only made two batches and haven't really gotten to the point of measuring boil off rates, etc. I'm still very basic. This is just a recipe I found online

First thing you should do is set up your own equipment profile to reflect your process: boil off rate, losses, mash tun volumes, etc. This will help greatly in making the program be more effective for you.

If you don't have those figures yet, you can use the default settings to start.

Next, download the recipe you want to brew. Use the 'scale recipe' function to change the equipment profile to your custom profile. Make sure that the box is checked off to 'match original gravity, color and bitterness.' Change the batch size to match what you want to put into your fermentor and click OK.

This will reset water volumes, adjust the grain and hop requirements to match your process.

After that, look at his mash profile and adjust that to fit your intended mash schedule. Everyone has their own way of doing things: mash times, ramp rates, infusions, water to grain ratio, sparging method, etc; and you want to have the recipe reflect what you do.

Now the recipe should be closer to what your process would product.

I would very much encourage you to take measurements of gravity and volumes throughout the brewing process. You can use those figures to customize your profiles further. Generally, it has taken about 3 to 4 brews of consistent measuring to get a new equipment profile (for a process change I created) 'dialed' in so that it accurately reflects what I am most likely to produce.

Remember also that this is a program. It responds to the information you give it and should be adjusted to reflect what you want to do. The equipment, mash, and fermentation profiles that came with the program are intended to give you an example of different methods and processes. They do not reflect how you should brew, but should serve as templates for you to adjust as needed.

Definitely doesn't seem right. 9 gallons seems like the amount you start with in a mash to get to your boil volume.

Ok. I don't even have beersmith yet, lol. I just googled a type of beer and found this recipe. I didn't know anything about it. I am def going to get it and begin measuring EVERYTHING. I've brewed twice now and am starting to get used to the process so I think I can start adding in steps like measuring and tracking things.
The lesson I will take from this is: don't use beersmith cloud recipes yet cuz obviously they have been modified to the users equipment.
Thx.
Gotta get more into this thing.

If you are just looking for recipes, check out the subsection here. A lot of great homebrewer made recipes with great comments.

Latest posts

Back