Beersmith - cold steeping?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a dry stout, and my intention is to cold steep the roasted barley separately from my mash containing the pale grains, then add it later. I'm wondering how I go about putting this into beersmith correctly? As the roasted barley will not be mashed I need to do away with the fermentable sugars that beersmith assumes I will be extracting from the grains, but I need to keep the colour that it will add?
Thanks

You can just add it as you would if you were to mash it, but reduce the efficiency value to get the OG down to where it would be without it.

I think if you double click the ingredient in the recipe and switch the potential down to 1 then it should do what you're after. I could be wrong though. That isn't something I've done.

I think if you double click the ingredient in the recipe and switch the potential down to 1 then it should do what you're after. I could be wrong though. That isn't something I've done.

That sounds like it should work as well. You may also want to mark it as not fermentable.

You can just add it as you would if you were to mash it, but reduce the efficiency value to get the OG down to where it would be without it.

Thanks guys that make sense now I think about it! I'm quite new to beersmith so haven't really got into tweaking any of those numbers yet.
Thanks both of you.

Latest posts

Back