Beersmith - Calculating Dextrose in the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eobie

Reaction score
Just did a Pliny clone. I always hit 73% efficiency but my this time my preboil gravity was 6 points or so short. This batch has dextrose added into the boil. My post boil gravity was only missed by 1 point. All gravities were temperature corrected and my post boil volume was spot on. Is the dextrose throwing something off in beersmith?

The dextrose goes into the boil, so it needs to be set up in Beersmith that way. I think it does default to that, but I'm not sure.

right, it was set up to go in the boil and even had it listed as such ob the brew sheet. i am wondering if the pre boil gravity is calulated from the estimated post boil gravity.

pre boil gravity was off (6 ish points)
post was on (off by 1 point)
all volumes were correct.

right, it was set up to go in the boil and even had it listed as such ob the brew sheet. i am wondering if the pre boil gravity is calulated from the estimated post boil gravity.

pre boil gravity was off (6 ish points)
post was on (off by 1 point)
all volumes were correct.

Take out the corn sugar, and preview the brewsheet and see what it does to the preboil gravity. I bet it adds the sugar in the preboil gravity. Why, I would not be able to explain, though!

Take out the corn sugar, and preview the brewsheet and see what it does to the preboil gravity. I bet it adds the sugar in the preboil gravity. Why, I would not be able to explain, though!

Yep you are right. It most definitely added the boil dextrose to the pre-boil gravity. I'm kinda relieved here as now I know it wasn't anything I messed up.

Yep you are right. It most definitely added the boil dextrose to the pre-boil gravity. I'm kinda relieved here as now I know it wasn't anything I messed up.

I wonder why it does that, though? I mean, you put it in the "boil" part, and it recognizes that, but still adds the gravity contribution into the preboil. Weird, but at least there is a work around.

I wonder if beersmith does the calculation backwards... like calculating the pre boil by taking the post boil and adding boil-off.

Back