Beersmith Calc Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I'm new to Beersmith and have run into a point of confusion.

I add a small volume mashout to my lauder tun prior to draining the first runnings. If the mash temp was 158F this usually requires about 6 quarts of 185F water to get the bed to 168ish.

I utilized the Beersmith "infusion" calculator and it gave me 193F and I then used their "Mash Adjustment" calculator and it gave 183F.

Obviously I must not understand their definition of the two since I thought the results would be the same. They both define the temp and amount of water required to take the mash from one temp to another. Why the difference in results?

Anyone know?

Thanks....

I'm new to Beersmith and have run into a point of confusion.

I add a small volume mashout to my lauder tun prior to draining the first runnings. If the mash temp was 158F this usually requires about 6 quarts of 185F water to get the bed to 168ish.

I utilized the Beersmith "infusion" calculator and it gave me 193F and I then used their "Mash Adjustment" calculator and it gave 183F.

Obviously I must not understand their definition of the two since I thought the results would be the same. They both define the temp and amount of water required to take the mash from one temp to another. Why the difference in results?

Anyone know?

Thanks....

I can't picture what is going on. Do you want to attach the BSM file for that recipe here, so we can open it and take a look?

If you do, just go into Beersmith, and click "export file as...." under the file menu, then save it as a BSM file. Then, using the "paperclip" above your "reply area", attach it and post it.

Back