BeerSmith 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this was answered... 24 pages is just too many to go through.

When I imported my recipes, the "brew log" recipes didn't come over. Any thoughts on how to do that painlessly?

EDIT: Figured it out.

So, was the boil off % issue addressed?

I think so.

The problem Arturo is pointing out was a fundamental error in version 1.4. My system boils off about 1.25 gallons per hour, regardless of the volume in my kettle. The software previously assumed a % loss, but that didn't work because the boil off rate would change with the batch size. The software needed a flat rate (gallons per hour).

Now, under Equipment, you enter the default Boil Time and the Boil Off (in gallons). The software calculates a %/hour boiloff, but that's based on the number you entered. If the batch size changes, the boil off amount in gallons stays the same. Anyway, it looks like it is fixed.

I have some grains that were added to 1.4, but they don't show up on my list in 2.0, even though if I go to a recipe that used them they show up fine in the recipe.

Any one know how to add them to my grain list?

The more I fiddle with this, the more awesome it gets. A great value for the money. It just takes a while to adjust between the two.

_

I keep a timer on my phone. I find it better since I might walk away from the mash or boil and not be near my computer when the timer goes off. But I also think it's a basic tool that ought to be in there! (hint hint!)

I haven't had much playing with it yet. I might check it out today at work if I get time.

Homercidal said:
I keep a timer on my phone. I find it better since I might walk away from the mash or boil and not be near my computer when the timer goes off. But I also think it's a basic tool that ought to be in there! (hint hint!)

I haven't had much playing with it yet. I might check it out today at work if I get time.

Actually, why stop at a brewday timer? Why not have it email you when it's time to dry hop, transfer to secondary, etc.?

jsweet said:
Actually, why stop at a brewday timer? Why not have it email you when it's time to dry hop, transfer to secondary, etc.?

Keeping with the phone theme, I set that on my phone's calendar. Which is an android phone, so I could have Google calendar email me a reminder as well, if I wanted.

Keeping with the phone theme, I set that on my phone's calendar. Which is an android phone, so I could have Google calendar email me a reminder as well, if I wanted.

Good idea, but I do agree with previous post: would be nice if Beersmith's calendar emailed me, or if I could add it to my Google calendar.

BTW, Google calendar is supported on iPhone.

I tried to export the BeerXML to use with a couple of timers that supported it, but neither worked. I wonder if there's something funky about BS2's BeerXML output.

I tried to export the BeerXML to use with a couple of timers that supported it, but neither worked. I wonder if there's something funky about BS2's BeerXML output.

was it xml or xmlx? The releases notes indicate he saves in an xml format that he refers to as "extended xml". I assumed it had the *.xmlx extension.

Good question. I thought it was xml (the timers saw it as a .xml file), but perhaps it was the extended version. Kind of hard to have a standardized system if the target keeps moving.

I was actually wondering when I posted the previous if Brad Smith would be pissed if I threw together an Android app that would read your Beersmith file and do the timer/e-mail/calendar/etc. stuff for a recipe. I've tooled around with Android development in the past, and I do not think it would be at all difficult. If I find the time, that is... and if Brad Smith wouldn't be pissed off, heh...

I was actually wondering when I posted the previous if Brad Smith would be pissed if I threw together an Android app that would read your Beersmith file and do the timer/e-mail/calendar/etc. stuff for a recipe. I've tooled around with Android development in the past, and I do not think it would be at all difficult. If I find the time, that is... and if Brad Smith wouldn't be pissed off, heh...

If such an app existed for android, I would purchase it!

Well, if it read BeerXML rather than BSM (or whatever the v2 is called), it wouldn't matter, right?

Well, if it read BeerXML rather than BSM (or whatever the v2 is called), it wouldn't matter, right?

Good point, I hadn't even really thought this through. (Actually, TBH I didn't know until reading the last few posts on this thread that there WAS a generic XML format for beer recipes)

As an added bonus, I've written Droid code that consumed XML in the past, so it should be a cinch. Just gotta find the freakin' time now...

was it xml or xmlx? The releases notes indicate he saves in an xml format that he refers to as "extended xml". I assumed it had the *.xmlx extension.

A-hah! I thought that BeerXML *importing* was currently broken, but it appears it may be *exporting*, too (instead?):

Note: At this time the BeerXML export is not yet complete, though we hope to have it ready as an update to BeerSmith 2 shortly.

I guess it's just because I don't have the need for most of these features, but I think I like the first one better. I really only use it to form a recipe and check on IBU and gravities for the most part.

A couple questions/comments:

1.) Why isn't the "Measured Bottling Vol" on the "Fermentation" tab not a function of "Carbonation Used"? For example, 5 gallons at bottling gives 5.33 oz Corn Sugar and 0.10 gallons at bottling give 5.33 oz Corn Sugar. What volume is "Carbonation Used" calculated with?

2.) What does "End of Running Gravity" on the "Mash Details" tab mean? I assume this is for fly sparging.

3.) Should the pop up tip for "Efficiency" under "Brewhouse Efficiency" on the "Fermentation" tab be something like "Estimated Efficiency for Recipe Formulation"?

4.) Should the "Secondary End Temp" and "Tertiary End Temp" be deactivated when using a Single Stage Fermentation Profile? Same for "Tertiary End Temp" when using a Two Stage Fermentation Profile.

5.) Can "Final Gravity" and "Gravity after Primary" be linked when using a Single Stage Fermentation Profile. Same for "Final Gravity" and "Gravity after Secondary" when using a Two Stage Fermentation Profile

6.) Can "Measured Mash Efficiency", "Estimated Boil Vol", "Mash In Step Temperature", and "Mash In Step Time" be added to the "Select Fields" on the "Recipe Design" Tab?

7.) Can "Starter Size" on the "Yeast Starter" tab be expressed as ML or L instead of quarts?

8.) Can "Est Final Gravity" and "Carbonation Range" be added to the "Style Guide Comparison" on the "Recipe Design" tab?

7.) Can "Starter Size" on the "Yeast Starter" tab be expressed as ML or L instead of quarts?

It's tied in with Mash Vol Units on the Units in Options. I think there should be separate settings as I like my yeast starters measured in L and my mash volumes in G.

I got the new version and I like some of the new stuff, but the older version was more user friendly...additionally I think they are making a mistake by not designing this to go on an Ipad....Northern Brewers deal with Ibrewmaster, and Beeralchamy are way better programs for half the price.

It's more "Windows 7-y" and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...

I feel bad saying this, but I don't like the new Beer Smith. I'm gonna stick with the 1.4 version. dang.

I don't mind the interface, I just wish we could move the tabs around (once opened)... Adding too many extra fields (via the "Select Fields" button) cuts them off. I have a large display, so I can see a lot when I open the window up to the max. The additional sections did take a little getting used to, but not a lot to get there. I do like how the formulas now take mash temp into account for all grain brewing, when showing the estimated FG numbers.

IMO, it's a solid app. A little additional tweaking, and an update, could make it great.

I thought I was seeing things, or losing my mind the first time.. But if you change the mash temps, the FG will also change. I just confirmed it with a recipe that's on deck...

I see this as a valuable enough addition to make it worth the cost of admission... Having a better idea of what the different mash temps will actually DO for the recipe/batch is of interest to me. I'm sure there's enough 'old timers' who know this by heart. I'm not even close to that level.

Another item I like in the update is the glass image. IMO, it's better than the little block that was all you got in 1.4... Now, if only you could get it to print out in that view. :D

I thought I was seeing things, or losing my mind the first time.. But if you change the mash temps, the FG will also change. I just confirmed it with a recipe that's on deck...

I see this as a valuable enough addition to make it worth the cost of admission... Having a better idea of what the different mash temps will actually DO for the recipe/batch is of interest to me. I'm sure there's enough 'old timers' who know this by heart. I'm not even close to that level.

Another item I like in the update is the glass image. IMO, it's better than the little block that was all you got in 1.4... Now, if only you could get it to print out in that view. :D

i think its pretty cool that you can also replace the glass with an actual photo of the brew

Everybodys Bashing the new version but, its the old version plus a bunch of options. If you like 1.4 then you should like 2. Just conform to reality, THINGS CHANGE,For the better..

Everybodys Bashing the new version but, its the old version plus a bunch of options. If you like 1.4 then you should like 2. Just conform to reality, THINGS CHANGE,For the better..

Actually it's the old version with some fairly big interface changes. 1.4 IMHO is more streamlined and elegant. Version 2 has a whole bunch of seemingly arbitrary changes in addition to the new features, and for me these changes are mostly not positive.

Back