BeerSmith 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't you manually add that stuff now even in Beersmith 1.4? I am pretty sure I have done it. You just need the malt analysis sheet.

Yes you can but the Add-On's make it a bit easier, especially for the beginning brewer that has almost no knowledge of how much malt can differ between maltsters.

Besides, if someone (or even you) has done the work already then why not submit it to be shared with the community. Having this feature built in to the program would have saved me adding several malts that were already there or had been added by someone else in the community already.

Well I agree but my point is that he has that capability now, and even lacking the malt analysis (which typically doesn't vary substantially anyway) goetzUM could just create separate listings for e.g. Crisp Maris Otter vs Fawcett Maris Otter and make batches with each, noting the qualitative differences. All you have to do is "duplicate" the Maris Otter ingredient and rename it appropriately.

All the years I've used it, I've never seen that feature, what button? I'm like you I never update my inventories anyway.

It's actually so simple, you'll be surprised you've never come across it.

Select your recipe folder in BeerSmith > Edit > Find. An Ingredient list will pop up and you add things to the list similar to building a recipe as well as other filters for matching options, etc...

Once done, it will list every recipe in the DB you've selected that has matches to the List and criteria you have chosen.

Select your recipe folder in BeerSmith > Edit > Find. An Ingredient list will pop up and you add things to the list similar to building a recipe as well as other filters for matching options, etc...

Once done, it will list every recipe in the DB you've selected that has matches to the List and criteria you have chosen.

Nice! I never knew that existed!

I wonder if that changes at all in v2.0.

Not very many BeerSmith users know it's there. And some who do, oddly enough, keep it secret for some reason. :confused:

I'm not seeing that particular "feature" in the current build. I'll ask about it.

Never saw that feature either, but is it really necessary if you have all your recipes anyways?

_

Never saw that feature either, but is it really necessary if you have all your recipes anyways?

Not necessary, but nice to have IMHO. Makes finding out what you can make without ordering or making a trip very quick and easy, especially if you've got a rather large recipe list.

It would also be cool if any grain amounts under a pound was put into ounces automatically. Nice for small additions like roasted barley or pale chocolate.

_

_

Not necessary, but nice to have IMHO. Makes finding out what you can make without ordering or making a trip very quick and easy, especially if you've got a rather large recipe list.

This. In the proad scheme of thing for those not keen or adept at recipe formulation it does make for a nice feature, if you have a large DB, to get an idea of "what" you could brew with minimal extra purchases or from what is on hand at the time.

It would also be cool if any grain amounts under a pound was put into ounces automatically. Nice for small additions like roasted barley or pale chocolate.

_

YES! Or at least, like BTP, the ability to change each items units manually.

You know, for this I may want to work in gallons but for that I may want quarts instead of decimal gallons, etc.... Too many examples to list.

I would like to see an option that says you have brewed a recipe and the inventory will decrease from that recipe.

Julohan said:
I would like to see an option that says you have brewed a recipe and the inventory will decrease from that recipe.

Yes, that would be nice. Maybe integrate it with some sort of brew log.

That exists betwen the calendar and the Remove from Inventory button.

What the Remove from Inventory button needs is a link to brewdate so you don;t mistakenly remove 2 or 3 times during the same brew "session". Or, maybe the software just automatically removes inventory item based on a condition that the OG is changed from default.

That exists betwen the calendar and the Remove from Inventory button.

What the Remove from Inventory button needs is a link to brewdate so you don;t mistakenly remove 2 or 3 times during the same brew "session". Or, maybe the software just automatically removes inventory item based on a condition that the OG is changed from default.

I use the Remove from Inventory feature whenever I brew. I also maintain my inventory whenever I purchase more ingredients. (I really don't brew that often, so it's easy to do)

Is there a "check inventory" feature available that will see if I can brew a given recipe based on what I have in inventory?

I use the Remove from Inventory feature whenever I brew. I also maintain my inventory whenever I purchase more ingredients. (I really don't brew that often, so it's easy to do)

Is there a "check inventory" feature available that will see if I can brew a given recipe based on what I have in inventory?

Yes. See above for v1.4 with some common sense modification (choose the recipe you are targeting rather than just the folder, IIRC). Indications are that this feature did not make it's way into v2.0.

Thanks, Gila. That's a little less direct than I was thinking of, but seems to be useful if you're not sure what to brew.

I was thinking more along the lines of Open a recipe, click "check inventory" and it tells you what, if anything, you are missing for that beer.

Thanks, Gila. That's a little less direct than I was thinking of, but seems to be useful if you're not sure what to brew.

I was thinking more along the lines of Open a recipe, click "check inventory" and it tells you what, if anything, you are missing for that beer.

Nothing like that in there, but you can open separate windows with your inventory in one and a recipe in another for a quick and easy comparison.

Aaaah wyzazz I feel like you're ruining the surprises in-store for the rest of us.

i.e., Spoiler Alert! ;)

Nah, this isn't the final version of the product so there isn't anything completely concrete as of yet. Besides, I'd like to try and make this the best product it can be & this is certainly the market Brad is aiming for.

wyzazz said:
Nothing like that in there, but you can open separate windows with your inventory in one and a recipe in another for a quick and easy comparison.

Umm... you can just make a shopping list.

Reading through this thread it seems that the features that people wanted have always been available, just a matter of learning the program. The only thing I didn't see answered was the two people that asked for a way to formulate a recipe by using percentages. The method to do this was explained by flyguy

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/beersmith-grist-percentages-149827/ see post #6.

So I guess that tabbed browsing is the only thing new.

iaefebs said:
Reading through this thread it seems that the features that people wanted have always been available, just a matter of learning the program. The only thing I didn't see answered was the two people that asked for a way to formulate a recipe by using percentages. The method to do this was explained by flyguy

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/beersmith-grist-percentages-149827/ see post #6.

So I guess that tabbed browsing is the only thing new.

You mean to say there's a brew-log feature to keep track of brew days, pertinent notes, and the particular recipe used (including any differences/tweaks that may differ from the recipe's current form as listed in the recipe section), and which will automatically subtract the appropriate items from the inventory as soon as you log the brew day?

You mean to say there's a brew-log feature to keep track of brew days, pertinent notes, and the particular recipe used (including any differences/tweaks that may differ from the recipe's current form as listed in the recipe section), and which will automatically subtract the appropriate items from the inventory as soon as you log the brew day?

Wouldn't that be the notes section?

It might be worth asking about.

Maybe even something like this...

New recipe saved and I used 3 oz of Casade from inventory where I have 16oz... pop-up comes up saying, "You've used 3 oz of Cascade in this like totally yummy recipe. Would you like 3 oz of Cascade removed from inventory?"

By giving the prompt, if you used inventory, click Yes and inventory is accurate. Click No and inventory is either jacked up (which is your own damn fault, garbage in, garbage out rule) or if you didn't have or didn't use inventory, things stay accurate.

Just a thought. :mug:

kinghellsfire_NZ said:
Wouldn't that be the notes section?

Um, no? That lets me puts notes on a particular recipe, not a particular brew-day, and doesn't track changes to the recipe. And it definitely doesn't affect the shopping cart.

Sure, it can all be done manually, but so can everything in the entire program. The whole point of the software is to automate the tedium to save time, make brewing more enjoyable, and minimize mistakes.

It might be worth asking about.

Maybe even something like this...

New recipe saved and I used 3 oz of Casade from inventory where I have 16oz... pop-up comes up saying, "You've used 3 oz of Cascade in this like totally yummy recipe. Would you like 3 oz of Cascade removed from inventory?"

By giving the prompt, if you used inventory, click Yes and inventory is accurate. Click No and inventory is either jacked up (which is your own damn fault, garbage in, garbage out rule) or if you didn't have or didn't use inventory, things stay accurate.

Just a thought. :mug:

I can suggest that as well.

Um, no? That lets me puts notes on a particular recipe, not a particular brew-day, and doesn't track changes to the recipe. And it definitely doesn't affect the shopping cart.

Sure, it can all be done manually, but so can everything in the entire program. The whole point of the software is to automate the tedium to save time, make brewing more enjoyable, and minimize mistakes.

There are recipe versions in the new BeerSmith that may take care of this issue for you. New version of the recipe, new notes section.

I track this with 1.4. I guess my thought is why spend money on something new when it is already available on the old? Maybe the new will be more automatic, maybe not... I really like my current program and don't see a need to switch. It will probably help newer users, or those that haven't explored the full potential of 1.4. The thing I see in this thread is that there are suggestions to improve this product that have not been addressed. It would have been nice to ask for input from current users long before a release date 2 weeks from now.

Um, yes there is this feature in 1.4.

On brew day, select the recipe you are going to brew and click "Copy to Brew Log" at the top. Go to your Brew Log and click that recipe. Change the date to "today" using the button in the calendar that pops up.

Now make whatever changes you want and write whatever notes in the notes section. They are unique to that particular batch. I do this every single brew day and keep all my per-batch notes that way. You still have to click "Remove from Inventory" manually, though. To be honest I think "automatic" inventory management is a huge can of worms.

weirdboy said:
Um, yes there is this feature in 1.4.

On brew day, select the recipe you are going to brew and click "Copy to Brew Log" at the top. Go to your Brew Log and click that recipe. Change the date to "today" using the button in the calendar that pops up.

Now make whatever changes you want and write whatever notes in the notes section. They are unique to that particular batch. I do this every single brew day and keep all my per-batch notes that way. You still have to click "Remove from Inventory" manually, though. To be honest I think "automatic" inventory management is a huge can of worms.

Some other apps, like beer alchemy on the mac, have a batch concept built in, not just a simple copy to brew log. This batch concept easily lets you compare differences between them, actual UI showing style numbers, original recipe and THIS batch side by side. It is a pretty cool feature.

Does anyone have an idea of when 2.0 is going to be released? Im getting really antsy and Im thinking of going in a different direction for my Mac.

Damn, I sorta wish I'd read this two days ago - when I finally coughed up the registration money for 1.4. That's cool that he's saying he'll give a discount to people who bought the old version recently, but depending on how soon it's coming I mighta even been able to ride out the trial all the way.

Heh, oh well, I guess the worst possible scenario is that I accidentally donated twenty bucks to an independent software developer making an incredibly useful product for an underserved market. Worse things have happened...

I just took advantage of the pre-order pricing.

Pre-order price is $16.95 for existing license holders who purchased Beersmith 1.4 before Feb. 15.

Latest posts

Back