BeerSmith 2.0.57 – 3gal conversion question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipso

Reaction score
I have 3gal Corny kegs, and thus want to convert some 5 gal. recipes to 3 gal. That should preclude the need for a starter as well. Creating new recipes in BeerSmith defaults certain values to 5gal. Taking the ingredients down is simple enough 3/5, but I want to make sure I’m setting up BeerSmith correctly so the calcs will be more ..in focus.

From [Design] tab
[Measured Batch Size] = change 5 to 3
[Batch Size] = change 5 to 3 (Populated from the [Equipment] profile selected, which itself needs a new copy with [Batch Volume] changed from 5 to 3, and maybe some other minor % reductions in [Fermenter Loss] and [Loss to Trub and Chiller])

From [Mash Details]
[Meas Pre-Boil Vol.] = change from 5 to 4? (Seems logical this field should calc, but nope.)

On [Fermentation] tab
[Measured Bottling Volume] = change 5 to 3

I must need to change something else (or should not have changed something), because I’m banging in a 3/5 recipe and the IBU and Color are not within range of my Style, whereas it is with the 5gal version. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your time.

It's not as simple as using a fraction of bittering hops. As you increase and decrease volume, utilization changes. If you are basing your recipe on the IBU's and SRM, you should slowly decrease all of your darker grains until you reach the correct color, then do the same for your early addition hops. Grains should generally work as a fraction, but you might find that you want a little more base malt than normal and use it to make up for some color, or your pot might normally darken the brew more than expected...etc.

PSA: I use the old BS1, so if there is something new in BS2 that does this for you, I don't know about it. I have to adjust things manually in BS1 when reducing batch sizes. Also, the general consensus is that IBU's ratings are pretty bogus anyway and that you should trust your palate instead.

Ahhh, so the program/setup is working exactly as intended then.

Useful info. Thanks for the reply Teromous.

Back