Beers judged poorly but won 2nd place best of show

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
Had an imperial stout and an ipa judged at around 25 points out of 50 in a private bjc competition but won 2nd place in best of show out of about 26 brewers last weekend. Anyone have something like this happen? Perfectionism in me is screaming as its my first competition ove entered

I've had some good results from competitions, and some very odd or contradictory remarks. I don't enter anymore, I just watch to see if people keep going back for homebrew when craft brew is right in the cooler. That's the score I want.
My intention is to eventually open something for the public. I guess thats the testament to success

Best of luck with that. If you make a consistent recipe, put it in several competitions. I don't think you should live and die by the results, because judges aren't always looking for the same as drinkers. I used to bring samples into a friendly bar. The owner and bartender would taste, sometimes other customers too. I found that very useful feedback.

Best of luck with that. If you make a consistent recipe, put it in several competitions. I don't think you should live and die by the results, because judges aren't always looking for the same as drinkers. I used to bring samples into a friendly bar. The owner and bartender would taste, sometimes other customers too. I found that very useful feedback.
Thank you. I hope it works out but the event of trying is most important. Ill take your advice to heart but i think i like the competitions too

This is crazy. 25 out of 26 brewers in friggin St. Louis cannot be THAT bad I don't think!!!!! That said, I've medaled more often in St. Louis than in other places...... :D

(Yes, I'm of course assuming the comp was in St. Louis but realize maybe it wasn't. And yes, I'm kind of kidding... I think?!)

how did you get to BoS round? Did they let every entry into BoS? Usually that's reserved for top 3 of each category...

This was 2 separate competition's. 1 for bjc and the other was a homebrew competition that was a fund raiser so people paid to come drink

That's my thing. I get a lot of crowd approval but judges tear me up sometimes. Most often its because of the strict style guidelines. A lot of what people are into these days is blurring the line between styles and the don't fly in competitions.

Back