Beers in Florida, what should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotivationDedication

Reaction score
So my buddy is in Florida for training and he's offering to bring beer back for me from the area, (near Orlando). I'm in Indiana and am clueless of what would be worthwhile right now.

My Florida/southern peeps out there, what's something you'd snag off the shelves that's probably not accessible up north.... before i just tell him "anything with Cigar City on the can" haha.

Thanks for the help!

:mug:

I don't live there but Most things he will find around Orlando are gonna be distro items for FL. We went to Disney world for Xmas and I found two bottle shops worth going into. I would say grab all cigar city stuff, MIA had some good brews, you can find funky Buddha distro stuff like hop gun, and nib smuggler. Things like that, it was hard to find limited items like last snow or any of their "bottle releases" but it could have just been the time of year I went too. I did see one strawberry shortcake by funky but had heard mixed reviews so I passed. If you are into sours I know they get some Jester King. But for like Angry Chair he will have to hit the breweries and if he flew that may be harder to do.

Jai Alai is everywhere, so that! haha. Funky Buddha and MIA are good (we just got MIA distro in Ohio in the past few months). I don't know how much you like ciders, but cigar city apple pie cider is incredible. After leaving Florida, I had to have someone ship me a case for my girlfriend.

I appreciate it! I'm planning on sending him to a bottle shop solely for convenience. I figure I won't be asking for any rarer items solely for that reason.... Only looking for beers that are solid "go-to's" so he doesn't end up coming back with a case of Yuengling haha

Cigar City
MIA
Funky Buddha
Jester King

Thanks for the input, I'll keep the list growing!

The MIA Tripel is excellent - as is the Miami Weiss. Funky Buddha just released Last Snow again - Most bottle shops should be getting it this week, I'd say have him grab that as well if you're into that kind of thing. IMO one of the best beers I've ever had. ABC Fine Wine & Spirits stores are all over Orlando and have a great selection - I also got really lucky with the Total Wine when I was down there last year.

Anything from Cigar City, Funky Buddha, Green Bench, MIA would be fine. If he can find Funky Buddha Last Snow I would get a couple bombers of that I have seen a bottles of FB Maple bacon coffee porter still at total wine so that is another good grab.

Anything from Cigar City, Funky Buddha, Green Bench, MIA would be fine. If he can find Funky Buddha Last Snow I would get a couple bombers of that I have seen a bottles of FB Maple bacon coffee porter still at total wine so that is another good grab.

Ohh man Maple Bacon... Didn't think that'd still be on shelves...have your buddy grab it for sure if he sees it.

Not sure if it is available that far south, but there is a small brewery in north FL called Grayton Beer Company. Their 1890 Founder's Ale is great and the 30A Beach Blonde is tasty too....and a cool label to boot!

If you see anything from Swamp Head in Gainesville, give it a try.

I would recommend First Magnitude before Swamp Head. Drift is a really nice beer, and its a style you don't see very often.

I also second Green Bench. They have a couple sours out in 500ml bottles that are really nice.

@Xernex Unless you are a big trading person I'm not sure its worth it. I had it an wide awake on draft on the florida release day and I was a little underwhelmed. It's good, but for all the hype it has gotten the past couple years i was a little surprised. Last Snow on the other hand I think should be getting more attention than what it does.

@Xernex Unless you are a big trading person I'm not sure its worth it. I had it an wide awake on draft on the florida release day and I was a little underwhelmed. It's good, but for all the hype it has gotten the past couple years i was a little surprised. Last Snow on the other hand I think should be getting more attention than what it does.

I enjoy trading - and wanted to get some of the Maple Bacon for friends in the brew club. the Last snow I picked up 4 bottles of in Jacksonville, while we were being evac'd from Orlando for Hurricane Matthew...I should have bought more.

Thanks for all your help guys! I have two CHECKED BAGS full of beer coming back from Florida as we speak, chocked full of breweries recommended by you all!

Cheers!

:mug:

Back