Beers for warm fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GallonJugs

Reaction score
I'm only 3 batches of beer in, but I'm totally hooked :)

I live in L.A. and I'm wondering what beers do best with warmer fermentation temps? I live by the sea, and my apartment usually stays cooler than outside (I don't have a/c) but it's still going to be in the 70's/80's for most of the year.

I read that saison is a warm fermenting beer, but I've never had any, I'll look out for commercial saison's but I don't want to brew any without even knowing what it tastes like.

Are there any other beers that do ok in the 70's?

Wheat beers are another one. The wheat yeasts make that characteristic banana candy flavor in the 70's. And they go from FV to glass pretty quick too.

I've got 2 batches of hefeweizen on the go right now, I'm hoping they become a TNT recipe because I do like wheat beer, but the banana thing... not so sure about. Hmmm

I've got 2 batches of hefeweizen on the go right now, I'm hoping they become a TNT recipe because I do like wheat beer, but the banana thing... not so sure about. Hmmm

:confused: hefe's tend to be banana-y. oh well, i second the swamp cooler idea. search here on HBT for how to set one up. (not on google, we don't mean the swamp cooler for cooling a garage. search on HBT) it's really simple and cheap. makes it real easy to control temps so you can brew all styles of ale. :mug:

I guess I didn't realise what people meant by swamp coolers and thought they were way bigger setups. I keep my jugs in the closet at the moment, but when it starts to get warmer, I might try getting a bucket or cooler, and putting a jug in there and see how it does. Thanks!

Back