Beer to serve with flourless chocolate cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarretson

Reaction score
I'm heading to some friends house this weekend and we typically drink a lot when we get together. Bourbon, vodka and red wine are the usual suspects. However, I'm a beer guy first and foremost and since I'm in charge of dessert, I'm bringing the booze to serve with it too.

I'm making a flourless chocolate cake and I could go typical and serve port or a big red wine. But that's boring. I want a beer to serve with it. The cake is a pretty standard recipe except it will have Grand Marnier in it in place of the required water.

I live in Colorado so keep that in mind with any suggestions. I was thinking maybe Lagunitas cappuccino stout as one good option. Or possibly Old Rasputin? Or Great Divide Yeti? Besides a stout or RIS, what about an old ale or barleywine?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i would serve a russian imperial stout - the bigger the better. barrel-aged if you've got it. not to overpower the cake, but to keep up with it. Schwarzbier is another excellent suggestion, but i fear it'll be sitting in the background while the cake takes the spotlight. guess is depends on what role you want the beer to play - backup or front-n-center?

I just had some Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout last night and that's what I told KOTC - man, this would go GREAT with chocolate cake! So there's my vote!

Our homebrewed London porter would too. Some day, I'm gonna try it.

I would say that a Milk Stout is my favorite pairing with chocolate cake, as long as the cake isn't overly sweet. If the cake is pretty sweet then I would go with Russian Imperial Stout as suggested above. I am just a fan of Stouts with desserts.

I think a strong stout would be great--the Rasputin or Mission Dark Seas. Or you could go with something fruit-enhanced, like a cherry stout or porter. Probably want to avoid anything hops-dominated.

A flourless chocolate cake is far from sweet. It's dark, intense, bitter, rich and a little on the heavy side. I want the beer to stand up to it and not take a back seat.

There are some great suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I really enjoy bourbon, whisky, and scotch. Paired with a good chocolate and a cigar that is a good night. Something not suggested would be a smoked beer.

Also Southern Tier's Mokah is a good chocolate, coffee stout. Maybe get a few bombers and have people test out different flavors? You never know if an IPA would go really well, a citrusy flavor to go with the Grand Marnier? Or maybe something lighter? A tangerine wheat, and really banana and clove heavy Belgian?

to go in a completely different direction a good framboise or other fruited lambic/sour could be a great pairing as well

I had this the other week (Ballast Point Victory at Sea Porter). I could see it going well with dessert. Very smooth and somewhat sweet for a porter:

vasday-glass.gif

Long ago I made a Gateau Mocha (a flourless cake) with chocolate buttercream frosting and served a wine to compliment the blackberry and raspberry garnish that was with the cake. My thinking at the time was that if I went to emphasize the chocolate, it would emphasize the heaviness and be a bit too much ... whereas if I went for the berries, it would emphasize that part of the dish. So even though you are serving beer, in part emphasizing any fruit garnish (with your beer selection) might lighten such a heavy dessert.

Before I get to the beer recommendation ...
As far as a garnish? ... big juicy raspberries, blackberries? ... fresh currants? ... strawberries? ... maybe even candied cherries such as used on a Black Forest Torte?

Either way, I think whether matching a not-too-sweet cake (verses a really sweet one) ... or a berry garnish ... it is more similar than it might seem.

The cake can stand a bit of sweetness (if it was a sweet cake you would not serve a sweeter wine or beer with it) ... and the berries need the sweetness to level out the acidity.

SO ... for beer ... I think it could be helpful to look at how a wine would match up and why, first ...

For matching wine to the berry garnish as I did (yes, by way of this explanation, this will apply to your chocolate cake ... read on) ... one would want a slightly sweeter wine - not a really dry one as a dry one emphasizes the acid component of the berries too much (as does tannin) ... but also a wine not so sweet that it overwhelms the subtle flavor and sweetness of the berries themselves. As you don’t want a particularly tannic wine, it means that reds are generally out ... you also would not want the overbearing tannin with the heavy chocolate either ... you want to “lighten” the chocolate.
So, as tannic wine is out ... I would say that this means that a very hoppy beer is out.

With that Gateau I made, I went with an Asti (Tosti Asti Spumante actually ... ok, yeah, hey it was the 1980’s.) which worked well both with the berries and with the chocolate. Sweet but not too sweet even tho it was a muscat grape.
The Asti was lowish in alcohol (again the heaviness thing) ... moderately sweet, fruit/berry aromas, not tannic, and very *sparkly* ... a good thing with such a heavy cake (this was why I did not go with something like a sauterne which was a runner-up in my choice).

One problem with the heavier stouts or porters etc is that the effervescence might not be quite vibrant enough to stand up to the heavy cake too.

So ... an effervescent beer ... fruit/berry notes ... some sweetness but not too much ... not high gravity ... little hoppyness ...... I’m going to say a witbier.

and for me ... there would be no question about the first beer I’d reach for ..... Hoegaarden!! ...
effervescent, citrus and a bit of spice, not too heavy or sweet, clean finish ... refreshing verses the heavy chocolate cake.

Great flavors verses the chocolate ... and one to contrast and lighten as well.

(yes I know, a lot to wade through for a beer recommendation ... they don't call me "Jacob the Brief" for nothing)

I'm serving fresh strawberries with it. There's no glaze, reduction or sauce with it.

I picked a bottle of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout to go with it. I'm the only beer guy so I thought I'd buy that since I love that beer and it's been awhile since I've had it. I'll try to post photos of the cake post baking.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back