Beer Tasting Party Support

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumForHire

Reaction score
I'm going to be hosting a beer-tasting party soon and was hoping from some advice from people who have hosted a tasting before. The party was auctioned at a church auction, so I'm going to be getting a variety of people tending with different experience and different tastes. I think the best thing would be to have about 6 different commercial examples of classic styles (thinking a pilsner, amber, ipa, porter/stout, belgian dubble, and a sour) as well as the homebrews I have on tap. The biggest thing I need is a score/note card that I could provide to some craft beer newbies. Other than that, if you've hosted tastings before and have some must-do and never-do examples, I'd love to hear them.

I usually hold a homebrew tasting every spring where I open up bottles from the last year. Usually around 20 people, but with kids playing and food cooking on the grill. I found that a self directed approach seems to work best. I stand at a table, open bottles, and pour samples. People wander up to the table when they are ready for a sample and I describe it to them or give some background. Some people come up frequently, others enjoy one or two. I think having everyone drink the same sample at the same time and then move on to the next might be too regimented for a more casual audience.

Back