Beer taste horrible !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miked597

Reaction score
Just kegged a brewers best witbier kit. OG & FG were right on target. Fermented for 3 weeks cold crashed 3 days and force carbed. Does this need to age a bit or maybe just not my style of beer!!! Or it just might be a bad batch Wife says it taste like spoiled tea!!! I never drank spoiled tea so IDK.

Not even close to blue moon. Maybe I can doctor it up with some oranges.

Spoiled tea? Is it biting astringent? Solvent-like? Bitter? If you can try to describe what it tastes like, we can better help.

Many off flavor so improve with time, but not all.

What temp did you ferment at? What yeast and how much? How long did you leave in primary? How long since packaging?

What did you use to sanitize your equipment with? And what was your fermentation profile like? 1 packet dry yeast ,,no rehydration? 85 degree ferment etc...

It sounds like a sanitation or fermentation issue but I need more details.

I'm pretty new to brewing so I can't really describe the taste.
Fermented around 62 deg. for 3 weeks in primary no secondary. I used safbrew WB -06 one package that came with kit. It's only been in the keg 24 hours but all my other batches around 10 or so have been great after force carbing. Mostly IPAs & APAs.

I use starsan generously so I'm pretty confident it's not a sanitation issue. Maybe I need to ride it out and see what happens. I got buddies that will drink anything if it's free so it won't go to waste!!! I got 2 more batches fermenting now one is my first AG!!! So no more kits in the near future.

weird, witbier should not have to age to be good..

This, wheat beers are one of the few beers that get worse as they age because most of the more mellow banana or clove flavors start to disappear and it just tastes super bland. They are best drank asap.

The grains might be the problem. I followed the steep to convert instructions to the T. After I steeped I rinsed the grains with 170 deg sparge water until I got to my full boil volume around 6.5 gallons. Was practicing for all grain sort of!!!

Just kegged a brewers best witbier kit. OG & FG were right on target. Fermented for 3 weeks cold crashed 3 days and force carbed. Does this need to age a bit or maybe just not my style of beer!!! Or it just might be a bad batch Wife says it taste like spoiled tea!!! I never drank spoiled tea so IDK.

I made that beer from that kit and it turned out awesome.
When I was brewing those kits I followed their directions religiously, I didn't deviate.
9 months later and it's still good.
In the bottle you are supposed to drink the yeast sediment in the bottom, how would you replicate that with a keg, shake it?

My first wit beer extract kit came out way dark and so yeasty I almost gave up brewing.
Did you use liquid extract and add it beginning of boil? That combined with higher temps on the yeast can cause what you might be referring to.

Mike we need way more detailed information to help you diagnose your problem. What exactly is bad about the taste? What do you think the issue might be?

I'm going to let a experienced home brewer taste it this weekend and let you all know what he thinks. Thanks again for trying to help!!!

Yep this beer sucks!!! Dumping first thing tomorrow!!! I would say it was a bad extract.

I made that beer from that kit and it turned out awesome.
When I was brewing those kits I followed their directions religiously, I didn't deviate.
9 months later and it's still good.
In the bottle you are supposed to drink the yeast sediment in the bottom, how would you replicate that with a keg, shake it?

1 tbps of flour at flameout, per 5 gallons.

Seems to help keep the yeast suspended.

Bad kit good kit doesn't matter anymore Beer still sucks I got 15 gallons fermenting and my IPA taste great!!!! Win some loose some. I know I'm not the first one to brew a bad batch.

Back