Beer Stimulus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
Reps. Richard Neal , D-Mass., and Kevin Brady, R-Texas, are proposing a bipartisan bill that craft brewers have dubbed the "beer stimulus." It would reduce excise taxes for breweries producing less than 6 million barrels a year, in the hope that small-town brewers could fatten their balance sheets and hire more workers.

One of brewers' bigger expenses is excise tax imposed on spirits and tobacco, first imposed in the 18th century to pay off debt from the Revolutionary War. Excise tax on beer, like other spirits, is paid per barrel produced and can be quite costly to smaller producers. The proposed legislation would drop the tax from $7 to $3.50 per barrel on the first 60,000 barrels for small brewers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/beer-stimulus-hops-barley-create-jobs/story?id=10932224

I actually just posted a related article. The excise tax was referenced in an article about Sam Adams losing their craft brewer status.

If we could get a Mod to close this thread that would be great as JJL's post on this topic is where the discussion is being held.

No worries. I was going to say that you had beat me to it but it looks like our posts went up at the exact same time.

Plus I like how your post focuses on SA more than mine did.

Back