Beer shortage due CO2 shortage in UK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think this was a real thing, wow. Anyway wonder if that drives up the price of getting a co2 refill? I actually shied away from kegging because the local airgas store charges about $40 for a 5lb tank swap (and $180 for a new filled tank).

Last edited:
I actually shied away from kegging because the local airgas store charges about $40 for a 5lb tank swap (and $180 for a new filled tank).

Maybe you should try spunding. It is easy & does not require much, just a gauge and a release valve, adjustable if you want to get fancy. Outlined in LoDO techniques discussion on this forum. Basically, rack to keg when around .005 higher gravity than your anticipated final gravity, and monitor pressure, release if higher than the vols CO2 you want.

You still need some CO2 to dispense, but not much. The price you say they charge is more than I am paying for bigger tank, and I live on an island where the exchange place has a monopoly.

Back