Beer Selections For My Wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
My wedding is a mere 3 months away and it's time for me to determine what beer I'll have at it. I'm planning on brewing a saison and a hoppy pale ale (probably 10 gallons of each), but I also need to have some commercial beer available to people. The caterer will get pretty much anything I want, though I do want to keep cost in mind. Here's what I'm thinking:

-My saison
-My hoppy pale
-DFH 60, Victory Dirtwolf, or another mass IPA
-Corona (I really don't want to include BMC if possible and this should satisfy most light beer drinkers)
-A wheat?
-Something else?

Any thoughts on the last two? Was going to go browse the liquor store for inspiration later but figured you might have some thoughts. Would love to get like Allagash White for the witbier, but that may be cost prohibitive.

Let me know what you think...

I like things to have reasoning. A beer from where you met? A beer of where you're honeymooning? Your favorite? Her favorite?

@Nick - that's a nice idea. We met in New Hampshire, so I could easily do a Smuttynose beer.

@ss4ivan - I had been considering Yeungling as it's a good beer and a crowd pleaser. So that's still on the table. Corona is technically a lager though.

First off, Congratulations!

Second, I would recommend keeping the main selections sessionable. Things tend to go smoother when the ABV is a bit lower.

Have fun!

I meant make your own lager, if you are able. I just made one that was done in 2 months...Light crisp and delicious. Better than BMC anyday.

Ahh..okay. I've never brewed a lager before, though I do have temp control and could technically do it. Maybe if I have time to squeeze in a test run, it could be an option.

If you want an IPA that is pretty easy to find in these parts, but not a "local favorite", that people might enjoy getting to try, or not having tried before, maybe some Southern Tier? Throw in the IPA or their 2XIPA...maybe something a bit newer, but that people can still enjoy.

I agree with the Lager. Yeungling is always available in the PA/NY/everywhere around here area, but there are plenty of other Lagers that you could spring for.

What about a Berliner Weiss? Generally a very light beer, and you can find many that can satisfy a large amount of palates.

Have you tried any Troegs?

The Dreamweaver Wheat is one of my wife's favorites.

The Perpetual IPA is pretty tasty as well.

I would throw in a Blonde ale. Everybody loves a good blonde.

idk about the saison. most ppl i know do not like that style.

i would do a

Blonde, pale, ipa, veinna lager, wheat, porter.

Thanks for the thoughts, Mike. Southern Tier isn't a bad call. I'll have to grab one of their IPA's - can't remember the last time I had one or what it taste like for that matter.

Troegs is always good. Another good option to consider.

While I lover Berliners and sour beers in general, I wonder how that would go over at the wedding. Seems a bit risky to me but I'll consider it.

I would throw in a Blonde ale. Everybody loves a good blonde.

idk about the saison. most ppl i know do not like that style.

i would do a

Blonde, pale, ipa, veinna lager, wheat, porter.

Since I'm already brewing the saison this weekend, I'm going to keep it on there. Unless it turns out badly, of course. I could brew up some Centennial Blonde too. Definitely an easy beer to drink.

If you're thinking of getting a commercial wheat beer, Boulevard is a good choice (assuming it's available where you are). It's not too pricey and it's definitely a crowd pleaser. At my wedding (before I started brewing), for beer we got a bunch of Boulevard, Bud Light, Coors, and Coors Light (in addition to all of the wine) - The Boulevard was gone by the time the wedding party showed up to the reception...

Nobody even touched the regular Coors - I had to choke down 2 cases over the months following the wedding...

If you're thinking of getting a commercial wheat beer, Boulevard is a good choice (assuming it's available where you are). It's not too pricey and it's definitely a crowd pleaser. At my wedding (before I started brewing), for beer we got a bunch of Boulevard, Bud Light, Coors, and Coors Light (in addition to all of the wine) - The Boulevard was gone by the time the wedding party showed up to the reception...

Nobody even touched the regular Coors - I had to choke down 2 cases over the months following the wedding...

Boulevard is definitely available in my area and they do make great beer. Fortunately with my caterers/liquor people, anything that's unopened, you don't get charged for. Sorry you had to endure 2 cases of "Banquet Beer" :cross:

Boulevard is definitely available in my area and they do make great beer. Fortunately with my caterers/liquor people, anything that's unopened, you don't get charged for. Sorry you had to endure 2 cases of "Banquet Beer" :cross:

That sounds like a pretty good deal with the caterer.

The Coors was the only beer left at the end - I guess everyone decided that they would rather sober up...

Two of my favorite for craft virgins:

1) Oskar Blues - Mama's Little Yella Pils -good big beer transition
2) Ommegang Abbey Ale - I find that Belgian Dubbels are a fantastic transition beer for the craft virgin and are very easy to pair with multiple meals...even dessert

Back