Beer sample question - taking readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencerdhg

Reaction score
just took another reading from my current brew in production (An Alaskan Amber clone - recipe from ollllo on one of the recipe stickies)

Anyways, is it pretty normal for there to be some carbonation in solution already? In the pic below you can see trails of carbonation bubbles floating to the top.

TIA

beersample.jpg

My apologies,

This is my sample to take a gravity reading. Its still in the primary. By the reading, I am pretty close to FG, so will look to bottle in a few more days.

I just thought it was odd that there was already CO2 in solution. My last batch did not have that.

The yeast are probably still at work and what you are seeing is the CO2 that they ware releasing. You probably need to leave it for a while before you try to bottle it.

Yes, it's normal.

Keep in mind that CO2 is bubbling up thru the beer the whole time it is fermenting so it has quite a bit of it in solution, just waiting for you to disturb and release it. I've had visible CO2 bubbles at bottling 2 weeks after brewday.

Back