Beer Not Appropriate for Royal Wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, one more reason not to watch...

1) Yeah, it's their wedding...sort of. It's this year, because the Queen has all next year locked up with her Jubilee celebration. And I don't think they're getting a lot of choices, as the arbiters of 'suitable and appropriate' are going to make all the real decisions. What, you thought they were in charge?

2) It's sad (but funny) that this is not supporting the British craft ale industry, in favor of the well-known British wine and champagne industry. It's not like anybody was suggesting that they slop some Langer's Lager (and Langer's Lite) into plastic glasses and pass them about.

3) I'm pretty sure if Harry gets desperate, he'll just duck down to the kitchen for whatever he likes.

4) Meh.

It's like being invited to a meal at a restaurant that you know only serves crap commercial beer. You''ll go out of duty , hey its just one afternoon, and the food might be real good... and your kegs will be safe and sound waiting for you when you come home ....

Hey - it can't be all bad!

"The Online Homebrew Company" (UK)

"We're having a Royal Wedding 10% off weekend from Today until Monday. If the wedding isn't your thing, checkout our website between 11am and 2pm for something special."

It's like being invited to a meal at a restaurant that you know only serves crap commercial beer. You''ll go out of duty , hey its just one afternoon, and the food might be real good... and your kegs will be safe and sound waiting for you when you come home ....

Not a bad analogy. Yeah, I'll still hoist a glass in their honor. I've been to England, it was a pretty cool country, and the locals were downright friendly no matter where I went. The coronation has absolutely no significance to me one way or the other -but the Brits put a lot of stock in it, and I like the Brits, so I'll salute for them as well. Why not?
I won't be drinking wine or champagne though (wine is OK but its not something I go out of my way for -and I just plain don't like champagne) so I'll toast with a pine of my favorite (yeah, it wouldn't be welcome at the royals' wedding, but then neither would >I<, so its not really an issue now, is it?)

BeerEagle said:
Hey - it can't be all bad!

"The Online Homebrew Company" (UK)

"We're having a Royal Wedding 10% off weekend from Today until Monday. If the wedding isn't your thing, checkout our website between 11am and 2pm for something special."

And 20% just announced until 2pm. Woohoo, where's my credit card?

I would just like to state that I'm a meteorologist at a TV station (who is obviously covering this wedding in full as I type) and in retaliation for not serving beer at the wedding I just went shopping for homebrew stuff on austinhomebrew.com....viva la resistance!:tank:

Hellooo refractometer and new carboy brush!

Wedding's over....and I'm suggesting that this thread be, too.

Best comment so far:

"In London it is a moment that will define a country, and a monarchy, for the new millenium as millions of citizens look towards Westminster and the future. In America...it's Friday..."

Oh HELL YES!! IT'S FRIDAY!! WOO HOO!!!

A day to be remembered for many, many hours. It seems only yesterday in which we remembered the last Friday. What a glorious day that was!

And unlike "over there", here we will be serving beer for our special occasion!

This is equivalent to saying that you respect slavery because America wouldn't have gotten where it did without slavery (which it wouldn't have). I live in Virginia, which was the capitol of the south during the civil war. If the state flag of Virginia carried an image of an old slavemaster driving his chattel to market I think there would and should be general outrage, despite its historic significance to the history of the state. The monarchy and royalty in general is also the embodiment and symbol of a very fundamental immorality and should not be idolized or even tolerated. Even if every monarch that ever lived was a perfectly virtuous human being and did nothing but good, the idea that a person is pre-ordained to hold power over his fellow man is not an value that any enlightened person should consign themselves to accept. For this same reason Caste and Class systems are also unethical. If you believe that people should be judged on their merits instead of the station of their birth then you should not consider royalty to be anything but wrong.

You recommended I read a little british history, I recommend you read a little Thomas Paine.

That's a seriously flawed analogy and straw-man argument if I've ever seen one. I also do not see something inherently wrong with one person having excess political power. What is a president? What is a prime minister? The only difference is birth vs. merit, but I don't think half the people in our government deserve to be there in the first place. There is a hereditary political elite in every single form of government in existence, democracies included. The existence of an elite class has been a part of human society since the beginning of permanent societies. Like it or not, it's not going away.

Back