Beer me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all from Pittsburgh,
Started brewing a couple months ago and am currently going through the different ingredient kits to get an idea of what goes into making the different types of beer. Have bottled and tried a red ale, oktoberfest and a porter... all have turned out good so far. Have a pale ale in the secondary fermenter and brewed an amber today.

Becoming ansy about making my own recipe and think I'm going to start with a red ale. Just downloaded BeerSmith so we will see what I can come up with.

Looking forward to the discussing all things brew!

Glad to hear you're having fun! I can't recommend a specific red ale recipe (Jamil's recipes are always a good place to start, he wins loads of contests. Also Northern Brewer posts the ingredients bills to their recipe kits, when you see a recipe you like just click "inventory." I know they have a red which might be a beginning for you), but I can offer some general advice.

Beyond the basic basics (sanitation, use your hydrometer, don't mess with your beer because the yeast know what they are doing, etc), here are the three things that will make the biggest difference in your basic ales (these three things can take your friends from "dude, you made beer" to "dude, what is this and where did you buy it? Do you have any more?" And after that it's up to you to perfect you recipe to your own tastes.

1) USE DRY EXTRACT. I know it costs more, but it doesn't get stale. It's very hard to tell if the liquid extract you get at an lhbs is fresh or not. Brewing is just like cooking: if you don't start with great ingredients, you shouldn't expect great results. Put another way, the best beers, like the best food, are simple and built around great ingredients. Use the rule of thumb for converting lme to dme: .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME (this is also equal to 1 lb grain, if you are converting a grain recipe to extract).

2) AVOID BOIL CARAMELIZATION. Caramelization is the formation of un-ferementable sugars in your boil kettle which leads to very annoying residual sweetness later. It is caused by boiling wort that has too much malt in it, usually in partial boils for extract or partial mash brews. This shouldn't be a problem if you are brewing all-grain.. If you are brewing extract, you should either do a full boil or, if your pot/burner are not big enough, add most of your extract late (the late extract addition will affect your hop utilization, use beersmith to figure this out-- say you have six lbs of extract in a recipe. In beersmith, add two extract ingredients: one for 1 lb, and another for 5 lb, but on the five pound one check the little box that says "late extract boil for __ min," most people do it for 10 or 15. Then fiddle with your hop amounts until the IBU is back to what it was before). When I do PM brews all the extract goes in late.

3) CONTROL YOUR FERMENTATION TEMPERATURE. Depending on whether it is hot or cold where you brew, there are lots of methods to do this, some will be more or less expensive or precise. Search this forum to find specifics, or describe your conditions to me and I can try to be helpful. Rule of thumb for ales: aim for 63-65 degrees F. It is really best to keep it under 70. Below 60 a lot of yeasts will quit on you.

You will find discussions about secondary ferments, etc.. It doesn't matter, do what makes you feel comfortable. Me, I brew and take OG, wait a half a week, take a gravity reading to be sure it fermented, then leave it another three-ish weeks and bottle. this is a total of 3 or 4 weeks before it's bottled. If you can find a cold but not freezing spot for the last few days before bottling, this will help your beer clear.

If you are bottling, ensure carbonation by letting the bottles condition for 21 days at 70 degrees. Any less and any cooler and you are rolling the dice. Consistency of carb between bottles will improve if you give them the full time. This meens you are drinking 6 weeks after brewing.

As far as recipes go, I usually start with a recipe I trust from someplace else (a friend, this site, a brewing supply store or site, a book, or a simple recipe based on a style guideline), and then modify it based on my personal tastes, my brewing process, and availability of specific ingredients. As you get more experienced you will learn what you can substitute, and you will perfect some recipes of your own. Using beersmith (as I do) and starting with a good recipe will give you an idea of the IBUs and the OG you are trying to hit. My way of doing it is bootleg: I enter the base recipe into beersmith using as much info as I can about the process the recipe was designed for (full/partial boil, mash or not, etc.), write down the OG, FG, IBU, and color on a piece of paper, and then start changing things around until I have something I can brew that comes up with the same numbers. Then I brew it.

Also, keeping recipes simple makes good beer and saves money (I need to be REALLY convinced to brew a recipe using .5 oz of three different kinds of hops, for instance... I'd rather buy one 2 oz pack of hops and use that all up than spend an extra $12 to have three partial bags of hops lying around).

If you get a recipe and want help modifying it, let me know!

PS I am from a rustbelt town in upstate NY and will be rooting for the Steelers tomorrow!

goplay -

I really appreciate your comments. I have thought about alot of the points you brought up but not quite in that detail.

My thoughts...

1) In the recipes that I am looking to create I will be using atleast 50% dme compared to lme. Per your suggestion I will look to move to majority dme and hopefully start to use grains in due time.

2) This is something I have not thought of. So far in my brewing ive used 5 - 6.5 lbs of extract and they are in there for the full boil (generally 30 min). Because I have been boiling for 30 minutes I don't know that I've been affected by carmelization. I feel that I need to up the boil time to closer to 60 minutes (correct me if im wrong) in which case I will definitely start to utilize the late extract addition. I am now using brewsmith so should be easy enough to keep the IBU consistent.

3) I think I have the proper fermentation temperatures at a good level. The house is generally around 68 or 69 and the room in the basement is slightly colder so I do my fermenting down there. Am looking to pick up a used fridge to start to try and lager some beers. Any ideas on that?

I have used a two-stage fermentation from the first brew. One week in the primary (right now a brew bucket) and one week in the secondary (glass carboy) before bottling. I then leave the beer in the bottles for a minimum of two weeks to condition. So far this schedule seems to hold up and the quality has been as good as I could expect. I may look to extend the conditioning time as I start to make more. Before I was just too excited to taste and couldn't wait any longer!

Here is the recipe that I am working on for a Red Ale.

4 lbs - light dme
3.3 lbs - light lme
8 oz - crystal malt
8 oz - melanoidin malt
4 oz - toasted malt
1 oz - Northern Brew hops (entire lenght of boil)
.5 oz - Santiam Hops (last 15 minutes)
1 pack ale yeast

I will look at the links that you sent to maybe tweak this a bit. Let me know what you think.

Great to hear that you will be watching and cheering for the Steelers. I will be at the game, heading down around 130 to get the festivities started. Enjoy the game.

This is longer than my normal posts but I am procrastinating some grad school, and besides I like brewing and it took me a while of reading and experimenting to get this together and I'm happy to help others figure it out faster. Of course it's my personal take on things and everyone thinks a little differently, but my brewing has been simplified and my beer has improved. Feel very free to pass this on to others who are thinking about recipe formulation.

1) In the recipes that I am looking to create I will be using atleast 50% dme compared to lme. Per your suggestion I will look to move to majority dme and hopefully start to use grains in due time.

Sounds good to me. The other reason I like the DME is it's easier to measure/work with.

2) This is something I have not thought of. So far in my brewing ive used 5 - 6.5 lbs of extract and they are in there for the full boil (generally 30 min). Because I have been boiling for 30 minutes I don't know that I've been affected by carmelization. I feel that I need to up the boil time to closer to 60 minutes (correct me if im wrong) in which case I will definitely start to utilize the late extract addition. I am now using brewsmith so should be easy enough to keep the IBU consistent.

Doing the whole 60 min boil will improve your hop utilization (more hoppy-ness for your hops). I think there are other chemical reasons for it but they are not coming to mind right now... I have just always done the 60 min and it seems pretty standard.

I think I have the proper fermentation temperatures at a good level. The house is generally around 68 or 69 and the room in the basement is slightly colder so I do my fermenting down there. Am looking to pick up a used fridge to start to try and lager some beers. Any ideas on that?

Your temps sound pretty good, but remember that the fermenter will always be a bit warmer inside than the air outside. An option would be to put the fermenter in a plastic tub of water or a big utility sink full of water (what I do), the thermal mass of the water will go a long way towards keeping the temp in the fermenter close to the ambient. As for lagers, I've never done one but a fridge seems to be the way to go... although I think it's like 50 in my basement right now so I am starting to get ideas. Anyways you can make some real clean-looking, clean-tasting ales by choosing a yeast that floculates well (S-04 is great for that and a good performer) and giving it an extra week or two in your secondary.

I have used a two-stage fermentation from the first brew. One week in the primary (right now a brew bucket) and one week in the secondary (glass carboy) before bottling. I then leave the beer in the bottles for a minimum of two weeks to condition. So far this schedule seems to hold up and the quality has been as good as I could expect. I may look to extend the conditioning time as I start to make more. Before I was just too excited to taste and couldn't wait any longer!

Sounds good to me. I used to do my secondary in a carboy but have moved a couple times and the carboys got left behind, so now I do not do a secondary at all just a 3-4 week primary. My ales spend the first week in a temp bath at about 64, then I move the bucket to the 50 deg. basement for two or three weeks after which they are nice and clear. I gotta admit to liking the simplicity of my system (never did enjoy racking). And you are not alone-- even brewers with some experience have a lot of trouble waiting to taste a batch when there is no other homebrew around. The key is to keep the "pipeline" full, so that there is always something ready to drink. Waiting for those first couple batches is always tough.

Here is the recipe that I am working on for a Red Ale.

4 lbs - light dme
3.3 lbs - light lme
8 oz - crystal malt
8 oz - melanoidin malt
4 oz - toasted malt
1 oz - Northern Brew hops (entire lenght of boil)
.5 oz - Santiam Hops (last 15 minutes)
1 pack ale yeast

As for the recipe, nothing stands out as wrong with it. Actually it looks quite good, if you brew it let me know how it is because I might give it a try. I but it into beersmith and tweaked some things, assuming you are doing a 5 gal batch and a 3 gal boil (if those numbers are wrong let me know because the final volume and boil volume are important for determining amounts of everything). I also went with 60L caramel since you didn't specify the lovibond. (caramel malt comes in different darknesses, with higher "L" numbers being darker and sweeter). Here are some modifications I might make for simplicity's sake, along with explanations:

- Replace the LME with 2 lbs DME, this will give you 6 lbs total DME which is nice because they sell it in 3 lb bags. Your OG will come down from 1.058 to 1.054, which I think is no big deal (probably hard to notice, actually). Splitting the DME into two additions (3 lb at start of boil, 3 lb at ten min) will help you avoid caramelization (if you make a scratch 3 gal recipe in beersmith that has 3lb of dme in it, you'll see the OG to be 1.044, which should really be fine for avoiding caramelization as it is not really over-concentrated).

-I don't recommend any changes to the specialty grains. The M-malt and the toasted need to be mashed to get the full goodness out of them (beersmith will but a red "!" next to them in extract recipes to show this), but you will still get some color and flavor by steeping.

- Northern Brewer and Santiam are both listed as close relations of Hallertauer and will probably be fairly similar, so I would probably go with just the NB. The improved hop utilization you get from the late extract addition allows you add .66 oz at the beginning of the boil and .33 at 15 min before the end, same 2:1 ratio as in your original recipe, and get 23.7 IBU (your original had 22.7) using only 1 oz of hops.

- I would also use Irish Moss, following the instructions on the bottle. This really will help your beer to clear a bit better.

- Because the Irish Red is a UK style S-04 yeast (fermentis' english ale yeast) would be a good choice, it has a fairly neutral flavor profile and it clears really well so that would be my recommendation unless there is something else that you specifically want.

Basically going to DME late extract addition avoids caramelization and stale LME, and tweaking the numbers a little bit eliminates leftovers. I hope this helps to get you started thinking about what makes good beer and what makes an easy brew and how those things go into the recipe tweaking process.

If you ever start thinking about grain brewing, Deathbrewer has made some great posts on his stovetop methods for partial mashing and all-grain, which I have recently begun using and find to work great and have little equipment costs.

Great insight once again... I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts. I am very intrigued by the details (late extract, hop utilization, use of grains,etc) and will try to incorporate your suggestions. Couple of things...

1) What do you mean by "3 gal boil". Being a beginner I have always used 1.5 to 2 gallson for the boil then added to 3 gallons of cold water in the bucket, topping off as necessary. With 3 gal boil would I be starting out with 3 gallons of water to use during the boil? Seems simple but just wanted to confirm.

2) Mashing the grains. Again, as a beginner I have not done this and have only steeped the specialty grains. I do like the idea of mashing to get more out of the grains so I will do some research. Let me know if there is a certain method that you use.

Again, thanks for your help.

Sorry for such long silence. I hope it's not too late to be helpful!

Yes, by a three gallon boil I mean boiling 3 gallons and then adding around 2 gal of top-up water. By doing a smaller boil you will have a more concentrated wort, which will lower your hop utilization and encourage caramelization. Counter this by adding more of your extract late. For the recipe discussed above, 2 lb dme at the beginning and 4 late would keep your hops on target a good rule of thumb is that for every gallon of your boil, don't add 1 lb of your DME early. If you have a 2 gal boil, this gives you some flexibility to adjust the thickness of your wort, which is helpful because you can tweak it to get the IBUs you want without wasting hops.

I think it's useful to mash sometimes (and i think it's fun), but I have made some really, really good beer using the DME late extract method so I don't think mashing is always necessary. So, that being said, I mash in a paint strainer bag in a pot on my stove. I actually just started mashing this fall. I usually brew 3 gal batches just because the smaller brew makes everything easier. I gan brew all-grain up to about OG 1.040 for the 3 gal batch, or partial mash for higher OGs or 5 gal batches.

My mashing method is based on some great posts on this forum by deathbrewer (links below), and I like it because it's easy and the equipment is cheap. I have 2 wal-mart type enamelled steel stockpots: a 12 qt that I mash in and a 16 qt that I "sparge" and boil in. That's a total of about $30 worth of money spent on pots. A pair of the big paint strainger bags from ace is five bucks. A floating-type mash thermometer from the lhbs is seven bucks. So for under fifty bucks you are into a grain setup.

Link to Partial mash thread

Link to All Grain Thread

Hapy brewing and let me know if the links don't work.

Latest posts

Back