Beer line cleaning system with gravity - am I missing something?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonpecan

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I am long overdue for a beer line cleaning on my converted kegerator. I've used CO2 to pump PBW before. But due to moving to a new house, my system has gone unused, with old sediments (including brett funk), for quite some time. So I wanted to get my pipes clean with some BLC.

Everywhere I read, people are using pumps of various sorts. Plenty of things to buy.

I tried an experiment with just water. I put a gallon of water in a bottling bucket on a platform well above my kegerator faucet. I attached a hose from the spigot of the bottling bucket to the beer line - secured the loose connections with hose clamps. Turned on the spigot, then turned on the faucet. The water flowed just fine into another bucket to catch what comes out.

I haven't seen anyone try this in my google searches, so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything before I start pumping the BLC/water solution.

Also - any reason I can't put BLC solution in a bottling bucket?

Thanks all!

I can't imagine BLC would harm a bottling bucket as long as it's rinsed in a timely manner, but I guess your process should work sufficiently well enough.
From what I've read on cleaning and servicing draught systems; if you use a pump for cleaning solution through the lines, it's ideal to run it at 2 gallons per minute for 15 minutes at a temperature starting at 125 degrees F. Or if you are cleaning using a static approach, it's best to leave the cleaning solution in the lines for a minimum of 20 minutes before flushing with water.
That seems like a lot of times of refilling and lifting the bottling bucket above your kegerator faucet?
Myself, I use a submersible fountain pump (that I picked up at my local discount hardware store for less than $10) and recirculate beer line cleaner through my lines with the pump in the bucket that hangs off my faucets.
Easy to do:) affordable:) and saves me more time for my other chores:mug:
blc.jpeg

Howdy folks,

I am long overdue for a beer line cleaning on my converted kegerator. I've used CO2 to pump PBW before. But due to moving to a new house, my system has gone unused, with old sediments (including brett funk), for quite some time. So I wanted to get my pipes clean with some BLC.

Everywhere I read, people are using pumps of various sorts. Plenty of things to buy.

I tried an experiment with just water. I put a gallon of water in a bottling bucket on a platform well above my kegerator faucet. I attached a hose from the spigot of the bottling bucket to the beer line - secured the loose connections with hose clamps. Turned on the spigot, then turned on the faucet. The water flowed just fine into another bucket to catch what comes out.

I haven't seen anyone try this in my google searches, so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything before I start pumping the BLC/water solution.

Also - any reason I can't put BLC solution in a bottling bucket?

Thanks all!

I do exactly this. Admittedly though, I don't use BLC. I use hot water, then star san. Maybe not clean enough, but my lines are faucets are new enough that it is a non-issue. At some point maybe I do the pump-thing.

Grilla: I wasn't aware of the 2 G/min flow recommendation. That might explain why I haven't seen anything on this. I think I'll start with my lazy, static approach and see where that gets me. Thanks for the pic of your set-up, very helpful: I think I'll replicate it if results are lacking!

Brun: Thanks for confirming the process! I'm hoping the BLC will give my previous process that extra oomf.

When cleaning the tap lines I use pressurized hot water to flush the lines first then pressurized hot StarSan. I haven't found the need for using BLC yet since I clean my lines every keg.

What do you use to clean your lines?

Cheers!

Ummmm.... "When cleaning the tap lines I use pressurized hot water to flush the lines first then pressurized hot StarSan. I haven't found the need for using BLC yet since I clean my lines every keg."

Pressurized hot water then StarSan?

Back