Beer in luggage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
I'm planning a flight to visit family and wanted to bring a few brews from my first batch. This might seem like a dumb question, but if I was to pack some beers in with my luggage (not carry on) would the bottles explode? I'm no plane expert, but I'm pretty sure the luggage space on a plane isn't pressureized.

I've packed bottles before and had no problems. See if you can find a large cardboard tube to pack them in. Be sure to place socks between them and tape the ends.

I usually pack 2 mini-kegs whenever I come back from Germany. Never had a problem.:D

I'm almost certain you can pack them in carry-on. We'll maybe not after this whole soda bottle bomb thing.. but in the past I've taken both open empties and closed bottles with me on the plane - they were inside a backpack that went through all the searches with no problems.

Now, if you were to crack one open on the plane.. that might not go over so well.

It is illegal to ship the homebrew.. not that you're gonna get arrested, but your beer might get confiscated.

Right now, you can't carry any liquids at all (even water) in your carryon. I've seen luggage handlers toss luggage, and it would make me very nervous to have glass bottles in my luggage. However, you sure could do that. Pack them very well and put them in the middle with lots of soft padding (clothes and stuff). You may want to put a plastic bag over them just in case it leaks. Or, like someone else suggested, pack them carefully and send those "live yeast samples" via UPS.

Lorena

lorenae said:
Right now, you can't carry any liquids at all (even water) in your carryon.

This is absolutely correct. Don't try to bring any kind of liquids onto a plane at the moment and probably for the foreseeable future. Even something like a vial of contact lens solution can't be carried on. The only exception is liquid prescriptions that have your name on them. I just went through all this and believe me when I tell you, they are checking everything.

It's probably too late now, but for future reference, pack them good and UPS them, marking the box "this side up", and "fragile". or "glass". I was a member of the Beer of the Month club 10 or 12 years ago, and never had a broken bottle. Ship with a little lead time, and have family put in the fridge until you get there. I'm sure the cost is minimal, all things considered.

A buddy from california just visited last week and brought two sixers of Fat Tire with him. He had them wrapped with socks and t-shirts in his schecked baggage. Not one was broken.....but one was missing! I think a TSA guy snaked a sample.
:rockin:

I just got back from Washington State and I tried Fat Tire for the first time. The stuff is not good enough to try to bring back .....much less bring back in my luggage. I did not think it was "Well Balanced" like they claim.

Now Black Butte Porter....That is a gift from God. I wish I could get it here in SC. I am going to try to brew a clone this weekend. I tried Sierra Nevada Porter while I was there also but it sucked. I guess I have spoiled myself for the last 12 years by brewing my own beer.

HomerT said:
A buddy from california just visited last week and brought two sixers of Fat Tire with him. He had them wrapped with socks and t-shirts in his schecked baggage. Not one was broken.....but one was missing! I think a TSA guy snaked a sample.
:rockin:

Wonder if they cracked one open to make sure it was beer and not something dangerous?

Recently my wife came back from a business trip and she brought back a 6 pack of beer using a cardboard box lined with styrofoam. She put the 6 pack in the box and checked it with her luggage.

Came through fine.

dougjones31 said:
I just got back from Washington State and I tried Fat Tire for the first time. The stuff is not good enough to try to bring back .....much less bring back in my luggage. I did not think it was "Well Balanced" like they claim.

Now Black Butte Porter....That is a gift from God. I wish I could get it here in SC. I am going to try to brew a clone this weekend. I tried Sierra Nevada Porter while I was there also but it sucked. I guess I have spoiled myself for the last 12 years by brewing my own beer.

Yeah, I agree. it had been years since I had one. We drank them back to back with my Fat&Tired (NB's Phat Tyre kit). It was unanimous in favor of mine. The ragular Fat Tires were undrinkable in comparison. I am actually glad that NB's clone kit tasted nothing like the original.

-Todd

brought a bottle of Limoncello back from Italy...or tried to. When I got home, my clothes were sticky and lemon scented, and there were glass shards everywhere. So Pack it up nice!!!

My last trip to Italy was before the recent liquid ban. I brought 7-bottles of wine, one bottle of home-made Limoncello (from a co-worker) and a 1 kilo block of parmesian regiano cheese, all in my backpack. It was heavy...but nothing broke.

I travel to Italy for work a few times a year, always bringing back wine.....I am really gonna hate the new ban.

-Todd

No homebrew on your carry on anymore... dont even try cause it wont make it on the plane. Either pack it in your checked in luggage, or ship it. They aren't playing around at the airport... they had dudes with machine guns walking around at Newark the other day.

Yep, the baggage compartments are definitely pressurized. Depending on how you pack them they'll be fine.

I'm semi-planning on bringing back a bottle of aquavit on way back home from this business trip and I'll have to buy it at duty free, have it delivered at the gate, and then stick it in my checked bag when I make my transfer at Dulles. Not sure if it's worth it.

Speaking of Limoncello, I made about a gallon a couple years ago...pretty easy, but it does take a couple months.

Latest posts

Back