beer gets maltier each day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunblock

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am just getting back into brewing and am loving the site. I did my 1st all grain batch in a long time recently and I used BM's highly rated recipe here :

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

It seems to be evolving funny though, I used beersmith did a 5 gallon batch and followed everything spot on. My OG right on and everything looked good. After about a week in the primary I force kegged and it already tasted like a crowd pleaser, very mild with a nice balance. I have been letting it sit to clear up and tasting some every day for about a week. It is growing increasingly malty by the day, and now I almost cant drink it as I am not one for maltiness. the hop flavors have all but disappeared. So, what have I done wrong? did I just get crap hops or have I missed something?

Yep. My 80 IBU RIS went south (too sweet) in 6 months.

Drink when it's good. Through a party... even a party for one!

this happens with my beer so far. i've only brewed 4 batches. 3 extract/steeping grains and 1 PM. All of them are good after 3 weeks, great from about 4- 8 weeks, then get maltier and maltier. They lose the hop bitterness that I brewed them for.

I'm hoping for answers here as well.

What did EdWort say? In everyone's experience this beer loses hoppiness?

this happens with my beer so far. i've only brewed 4 batches. 3 extract/steeping grains and 1 PM. All of them are good after 3 weeks, great from about 4- 8 weeks, then get maltier and maltier. They lose the hop bitterness that I brewed them for.

I'm hoping for answers here as well.
ALL beers lose hop aroma over time. Flavor, too, but more slowly. Bitterness...maybe but the loss is not so pronounced, nor so sudden.

Taco, I don't know what styles you're brewing, but I'm guessing the perceived "loss of bitterness" you're seeing between 4 and 8 weeks is the difference between green beer and conditioned beer. There aren't many styles that are at their best 4 weeks after brewing, and most of those aren't hop-intensive. Do you have some specific recipes and tasting notes you can share? I'm sure the community here can help you figure out why you're not satisfied with your brews.
:mug:

well I figured that it would loose some hop flavor all my brews do, but I can taste the difference day to day. I would have thought maybe week to week, but not such a loss of bitterness so quick. I mean its seven days in the keg and all the hop flavor is gone. I usually brew IPA's in the 40ish range and they dont last long so maybe that is my problem.

I missed edworts comments in the thread, I have been it through it a few times but it has gotten so long... am I just not waiting long enough? Will the maltiness diminish with time as the hops have done ?

Alright, I have discovered my problem. This being one of my 1st all grain batches in a long time I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching my yeast. pulled the second batch which was conditioning in the keg out and sure enough it was at 1.020, I guess I should have checked that to start with. Its back in the carboy now after being well aerated with a fresh nottingham starter. Do you guys think that it will still come out close to the original recipe or is it fubared now? It sat in the keg for about a week.

So know I am looking at an O2 kit, but I stumbled across this article which makes alot of sense :

BeerTools Articles On Brewing Beer - The Roving Brewer: Episode 2

Basically he is saying to reproduce your yeast in a well aerated starter to get a high healthy cell count, but for a cleaner fermentation you do not want or need an aerated wort. of course this would only apply to beers where the final product is desired to be clear and crisp like BM's receipe, but I cant find any more info on this. Has anyone tried this with any decent results? Looks like I have inadvertently done this with my kolsch sitting in the primary so I can report my results as well when its ready.

A

Taco, I don't know what styles you're brewing, but I'm guessing the perceived "loss of bitterness" you're seeing between 4 and 8 weeks is the difference between green beer and conditioned beer. There aren't many styles that are at their best 4 weeks after brewing, and most of those aren't hop-intensive. Do you have some specific recipes and tasting notes you can share?

I've only brewed Pale Ales and IPAs. I brewed Jaded Dogs Amarillo IPA and this pale ale recipe from my LHBS. Both were pretty basic extract/ steeping recipes.

I bottled the Amarillo IPA April 4th. I only have a few bottle left of it but it is definitely maltier than it was a month or so ago. Lost some aroma too, but that was explained.

These were my first two brews so i've much to learn. Even an IPA that i'm drinking now, bottled May 3rd is holding it's bitterness and aroma much better.

I'll keep my eye on threads like these.

I've only brewed Pale Ales and IPAs. I brewed Jaded Dogs Amarillo IPA and this pale ale recipe from my LHBS. Both were pretty basic extract/ steeping recipes.

I bottled the Amarillo IPA April 4th. I only have a few bottle left of it but it is definitely maltier than it was a month or so ago. Lost some aroma too, but that was explained.

These were my first two brews so i've much to learn. Even an IPA that i'm drinking now, bottled May 3rd is holding it's bitterness and aroma much better.

I'll keep my eye on threads like these.

yeah, its better to learn from someone else's mistakes I guess. I never had an issue using extracts as I always did a partial boil. the more volume you boil the more you need to pay attention to aeration of your wort it seems.

Alright, I have discovered my problem. This being one of my 1st all grain batches in a long time I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching my yeast. pulled the second batch which was conditioning in the keg out and sure enough it was at 1.020, I guess I should have checked that to start with. Its back in the carboy now after being well aerated with a fresh nottingham starter. Do you guys think that it will still come out close to the original recipe or is it fubared now? It sat in the keg for about a week.

From what little I know, aerating after the beer has fermented, even partially, is a horrible horrible idea.

From what little I know, aerating after the beer has fermented, even partially, is a horrible horrible idea.

Yeah, I was worried about that. since there is not much left to go I made a starter and aerated that more than anything and got it going vigorously before pitching. Kinda trying to follow the advice in the link just to see what will happen. no worries either way, I could never have drank it how it was, and I am not very picky. reminded me of a sam adams double bock. just too malty for me. I'll have to update the thread once I am able to sample it.

Latest posts

Back