Beer & food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_ale_scale

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to compile a list of foods that pair with beer styles i.e. Aged Gouda with Belgian beers. But I am running out of ideas. So far I have cheese , chocolate, cookies, and different dinner dishes. Who else has some good ones? I was also thinking bacons and/or jerky. Thank you in advance

Look for Garret Oliver from Brooklyn Brewery, he has a book on the subject. There used to be a podcast called new brew Thursday (I think that was it) and they had pairings with the Stone Bistro manager, and there's always Sean Paxton (so?) the "home brew chef"

Take a few minutes to search the web, there are a lot of pairing lists out there already (cheeses, desserts, meats (baked/smoked/grilled), fruits, vegetables, snacks, you name it) I didn't even bother to bookmark any the last time we put together a beer/food pairing night because there were so many.

I like Cooper's English bitter (ordinary bitter) with smokey pit bbq. A malty irish red is great with ribs. ESB is good with pit bbq'd fresh sausage. IPA's with spicy things, or pizza, with all the herbs, garlic & olive oil.

Hello, I am trying to compile a list of foods that pair with beer styles i.e. Aged Gouda with Belgian beers. But I am running out of ideas. So far I have cheese , chocolate, cookies, and different dinner dishes. Who else has some good ones? I was also thinking bacons and/or jerky. Thank you in advance

If you can find a copy of the CloneBrews book, the authors match each recipe they provide with a complimentary food or dish typically from the country where the beer is brewed. Their pairings seem to make sense and I've tried a few with good results however I don't know if they are "traditional" or just what the authors thought went well together. Some randomly selected recipe food pairing examples from the book:

Foster's Lager - yabbies (Australian crayfish) and meat pies
Chimay Red - bacon-wrapped red snapper with mushrooms in herbed Chimay Red sauce
Heinekin Lager - seared ahi tuna on risotto
Guinness Extra Stout - Irish stew with Guinness gravy and Irish soda bread
Ayinger Maibock - spit-roasted spring lamb, baby asparagus in Maibock sauce with rice pilaf
Checker Cab Blonde Ale - ginger duck with poached pears and blackberries

Porter and vanilla ice cream!!! I actually made a porter float one time, it was really good.

Back