Beer & crawdads Aug. 30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doktorhook

Reaction score
Alrighty, who likes homebrew? Who likes Crawdads? Who lives in the general vicinity of Louisville, Ky.? Well Aug. 25th I'm having Mudbugs & Brew to celebrate my 41st B-day & more importantly just to have a good time! If you're interested in coming post to the thread so I can get a good idea how many lbs. to order. Oh yeah, it would help if you could give a few bucks to me on arrival to help me cover the costs but no one will be turned away (well unless there is not enough food :)

Oh I almost forgot, for those that may be interested, there will also be an old school game of 1st edition AD&D for nostalgia

I love them all and you just woke my inner D&D nerd who has been asleep for 25 years.:rockin:

I love them all and you just woke my inner D&D nerd who has been asleep for 25 years.:rockin:

Well come on down! You'de be the first taker so far. We'll be playing the module,"Tomb of Horrors" so there should be lots of fun. You're not that far & hotels are pretty cheap around here.

Can you get crawdads in August? Floyds Fork or Beargrass Creek?

Never ordered them before but several websites offer crawdads until fall. I don't know what Floyds Fork or Beargrass Creek is. In any case I intend to order a mess of them in august, I just thought I would invite some like minded folks here that certainly share my love for homebrew & might share my love of crawdads.

Well, I'd be interested. Never been to a crawfish boil. I did not realize they were available that late in summer.

Well, I'd be interested. Never been to a crawfish boil. I did not realize they were available that late in summer.

Alrighty, That's one down & that means at least 6 lbs. of crawdads amid other goodies like taters, corn, & smoked sausage :D

Ok I have at least two coming, that's 9 lbs. of crawdads. I'm getting excited! Going to go this week to get supplies for the beer. I'm thinking Red Ale but I'm open to suggestions. Just remember I don't have a tremendous amount of time to let it condition.

I'm in crawfish country so I eat them often. Going to a party today and having some and then, a friend is having a party next week and my job is to cook them critters. He's supplyling a keg of Sierra Nevada to help me survive boiling these in the heat. A very fair tradeoff.
As for as getting crawfish in August, there are so many crawfish farms that you can just about get them all year around now. Though the farm crawfish are not usually as good and many times, they are larger.
We buy them by the sack of about 35 lbs or so. With gas prices falling, the sack prices have too.

What is a good crawfish boil recipe? I live in the pacific north west (PNW) where crawfish are few and far between. I can cook a salmon six ways from Sunday, but am lost with crawfish. We have a mountain lake near by that is teeming with them little mud bugs. Last summer, we went camping up there and dropped some traps. We caught a few pounds and boiled them with corn, potatoes, sausage, and a store bought crab boil spice pack. The whole thing was laking some spice. It was good, how can you beat fresh caught, fresh water lobster? But it wasn't great. I need some help for this year. I could be the PNW crawfish cooking champ.......At least to my buddies;)

Here's what I do for a sack of about 35 lbs. I use a brand of seasoning call 'Cajunland' (google it). There are many others but I like theirs best.
I add a large box of that seasoning, 6 onions cut in half, 6 lemons cut in half and the juice squeezed into the water, 8 whole bunches of garlic, cut in half and added, 4 stalks of celery, 1/4 box of salt, Tabasco suace or cayenne pepper to taste (I don't use too much if I have out of towners eating) and 2 handfuls of bayleaves (fresher the better). Sometimes I add worstershire sauce.
Bring just about 1/2 of the larger keg of water to a boil and cover and let and add your potatoes. Let boil for 5 minutes and add the sack of crawfish. Stir and cover and let come to a boil. When the boil starts, only boil for 2 minutes and shut off the heat. Leave covered for 15 minutes then stir and cover for 10 more. Then I start tasting them to see if they need to sit more. Sitting covered is very important.

If you want corn, add them as soon as you turn off the fire. Some folks put sausage in their crawfish. I find it messes up the flavor so you can always take the crawfish out of the boil water, then add the sausage or artichoke or whatever you want to try, to the water and heat again. Warning, whatever you add will be extremely salty.

Back