Beer clarity vs carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayzor

Reaction score
Any of you had this experience?

I've started using whirlfloc in the BOIL, AND clarex (drops that is also supposed to make the beer gluten free) AFTER PITCHING to clarify my beer.

Is this too much finings for a 5 gallon batch?

I've experienced close to crystal clear beer after just 3 weeks in the fermenter, and that's before bottling. But, I'm having trouble getting the beers the carbonate.

Normally I store the beer in room temperature for a couple of days and few days in the fridge, and that is usually enough to get a satisfying carbonation. Those times the beer is not ready in terms of clarity though.

Now:

5d in room temperature + 2d in fridge (near zero C) = No carbonation
10d in room temp + 2d in fridge = Nothing!
14d in room temp + 3d in fridge = a little

So, what am I doing wrong here? The only difference is the extra finings...the clarex drops after pitching. Is that it maybe?

Any of you had the same problem? :confused:

You need more time at room temp for carbonation. The less yeast left in suspension, the longer it will take to carbonate. Three weeks is usually considered the minimum acceptable time at room temp. Some beers take longer.

Brew on :mug:

I am not sure what effect the Clarex has on the amount of yeast in suspension, but you are not bottle conditioning long enough. Sometimes my bottles will condition in 2 weeks (I have never tried one earlier than that) but some take longer. Some even more than 3 weeks.

All of them have tasted better at 3 weeks or longer.

It is generally considered that you need 3 weeks at room temperature then at least overnight in the refrigerator.

Guess I'll try that...though it's going to be a bit hard waiting that long ;-)

I see your location is Norway. Normally, conditioning is at 70F or higher - your temp might be lower?

70F is 21.1C. Right now it's 9PM over here, and it's 22.4C outside (tomorrow 30C), and 24C inside. Even warmer up north at the moment. So no, there's no arctic temperatures over here :D

The fermenter with my current batch is sitting in ice bath at the moment to keep it below 72F

Latest posts

Back