Beer-Brewing Women, Soused Workers Who Built The Pyramids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLane

Reaction score
Saw this article a few minutes ago - thought this was the appropriate place to share it.

Beer-Brewing Women, Soused Workers Built Pyramids: Lewis Lapham 2009-11-20 05:01:00.0 GMT

Interview by Lewis Lapham
Nov. 20 (Bloomberg) -- “The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer,” according to the ancient Egyptians, and on that basis it was a happy society.
Bare-breasted women engaged in sudsy brewing work adorn tomb paintings and clay models from the dynastic period. To slake his thirst, each laborer on the pyramids got a daily beer allotment of 1 1/3 gallons. Everyone partied at the annual celebration of the Drunkenness of Hathor, goddess of fertility, motherhood and the Milky Way.
As a luxury associated with the divine, wine was the royals’ drink of choice. King Tutankhamen was buried with 26 ample jars, including a nice red aged by chief vintner Khaa, and a sweet white from the Estate of Aton.
Human beings have been consuming alcohol for millennia, with the earliest evidence appearing around 8000 B.C., and it has been both praised as a sacred intoxicant and condemned as a satanic drink.
I spoke with Iain Gately, author of “Drink: A Cultural History of Alcohol” (Gotham Books), on the following topics:

1. Status Drinking
2. Inspired by Wine
3. Christian Sacrament
4. Distilled Spirits
5. Imbibing Too Deeply

Sounds like a dream I had once. But you know, without the pyramid building.

1 1/3 gallons of beer per day? Thats 10.64 pints or 14.19 12 oz beers. I guess that is one way of keeping your workers happy.

I think I was born a few thousand years too late.

Even the building of the pyramids doesn't sound that bad. I used to frame houses, but my boss never gave me a gallon of beer each day, and even if he had I have my doubts that it would have been brewed by bare-breasted women.

Translated from petroglyphs:

We toil in the sun
We have no fear
Bare-breasted women
Are brewing our beer

I don't know about you, but brewing women don't turn me on at all. Meh.

But, give me a brewer like Sam Caglione, and my heart pumps just a little faster. Hot brewers are almost as good as hot hockey players.

I don't know about you, but brewing women don't turn me on at all. Meh.

But, give me a brewer like Sam Caglione, and my heart pumps just a little faster. Hot brewers are almost as good as hot hockey players.

You think Sam is sexy, picture me in rubber boots, and apron and nothing else. :drunk:

Back