Beer brewing virgin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
Good day,

I just purchased my first brewing kit and started today.
Everything is mixed up in the Primary. I purchased a kit from Brew House. Basically the wort is all prepped. I just need to add water and yeast and stir like a mad man.
My question is, Am I suppose to snap the lid on the bucket?
My brother in-law did that and it made a horrible mess.
He tells me that he just rests the lid on it. Wouldn't this cause the risk of air getting in?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'm really looking forward to progress into grain!!

If your primary has an airlock snap the lid on tight. If it doesn't leave it loose so CO2 can escape.

Welcome to Home brewing and HBT.

You don't want any oxygen getting in after you add the yeast, so yeah snap that lid on. Once you progress to extract and partial mash brewing, that's when the real fun starts!

Is it the 5 gallon pail your using with no airlock, don't snap lid on, first time I did that, it made a mess. I now use a 10 gallon primary, and the lid doesn't give a air tight seal, so it gets snapped on. I then drape over top some food grade plastic and wrap it down the fermenter and put a big elastic band over it to hold it on. Works for me so far. I'm still using the Brewhouse kits too, my favorite so far is the Pale ale.

Personally, I snap the lid on so that I get some airlock love with the bubbles. With English ales you can leave it loose as long as no bacteria can drift down into the beer. First timer? snap the buggar on and watch the airlock

PS I like virgins. :)

Like everyone said, if you have an airlock or a blowoff rig, then close the rid, if you don't leave it loose. As the yeast do their thing, they're going to produce a good deal of CO2. As the CO2 builds up, it's going to 1) displace the O2 out of the bucket and 2) form a cushion over the top of your soon-to-be-beery goodness to keep other O2 out. It won't, however, keep out foreign object and fruit flies - so it is (in my opinion), better to have the lid on. Some folks on here are big proponets of using aluminum foil to cover the vessel - I've never tried it, but perhaps one of them can chime in.

However, if you don't have a way to let excess pressure out of your fermentation vessel, it will eventually build up to the point that it exceeds the strength of the lid closing mechanism - at which point you'll get to partake in the unique experience of mopping your ceiling.

PPS. I like virgins, too. But I leave the boy ones for the Laughing Gnome. :D

While mopping your ceiling is sort of a right of passage, you don't really want to do it. Airlock and seal the lid.

PPPS. I didn't know LG was a priest.

Latest posts

Back