Beer at local Giant Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was at the local Giant Food today. Since I’m planning on brewing a few British ales I thought I’d see what British beer Giant Food has available. I see a Fuller’s London Pride 4 pack for $9.49. Interesting, as Fuller’s London Pride is one of the beers I will brew.

Luckily, I checked the "best before" date. It was February 6, 2019! I check another 4 pack. June 16, 2019. I check the final 4 pack and it too is February 6, 2019.

I go to customer service and ask to speak to the beer manager. I’m given a strange look and told “We don’t have a beer manager.” The store manager is nearby and says “Can I help you?”. I explain the out of date Fuller’s London Pride on their shelves. The store manager gives me a blank stare (as in “What do you want me to do?”). I tell him, “These beers are out of date. You should not be selling them.” After a few awkward seconds the store manager says, “OK. We’ll pull them from the shelves.” I reply, “That’s good, as no one wants to purchase out of date beer. Also, just think how disappointed someone would be having spent $9.49 to try them for the first time. They’d probably think they’re no good and never purchase them again.”

I saw the store manager walk toward the beer section of the store. I didn’t see him remove any Fuller’s London Pride, but he did return while I was checking out.

I wonder if this is a ploy by the big guns (InBev, Miller/Coors, et al) to purposely have out of date/crappy imports and craft beers so people will purchase InBev, Miller/Coors, et al swill?

Oh, but they do. Known fact BMC, et al has paid chains huge sums of money to push the imports and crafts off to the side and feature their swill.

If you were concerned enough about beer freshness to raise the issue with store management, you’re probably also enough of a concerned citizen to alert the Justice Department and/or Federal Trade Commision about these “known facts”. :rolleyes:

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to buy a sixer, drink 5 and then discover they're out of date and get a full refund.

BTW Fuller's sold out to Asahi (the worlds seventh largest brewer) for £250m early this year.

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to buy a sixer, drink 5 and then discover they're out of date and get a full refund.

BTW Fuller's sold out to Asahi (the worlds seventh largest brewer) for £250m early this year.

Yes, I realize Fuller's is owned by a huge brewery. However, since I plan on brewing a Fuller's London Pride I thought it nice to have some before doing so.

I do like the Bob and Doug Mackenzie idea about drinking 5 and then returning.

What makes you think BMC has any leverage with a grocery chain?

Oh, but they do. Known fact BMC, et al has paid chains huge sums of money to push the imports and crafts off to the side and feature their swill.

Totally up to the local distributor. In some cases the same distributor has agreements with small breweries as well, but many times it’s a smaller local company. The “BMC” distributors are audited in house and in the field on a regular basis. Drivers are held liable for out of date stock and absolutely can/do loose there job over it. (It is a dreadful sight watching someone pouring case after case of beer down the drain). The smaller distributors, are hit and a miss depending on there own guidelines or lack there of.

In regard to contacting government offices, do we have a BMC/InBev stooge among us?

I confess, I'm a "stooge" for an international beer conglomerate.
They pay me millions to post inflammatory comments here on HBT and other forums.
Is there any way I can make amends and be welcomed back into the respectable ABInBev/Mega-Beer hating community?
PS, I have a side hustle where I secretly stock grocery store shelves with out of date beer from the UK. Its my way of achieving " AB Ueber Alles"

I confess, I'm a "stooge" for an international beer conglomerate.
They pay me millions to post inflammatory comments here on HBT and other forums.
Is there any way I can make amends and be welcomed back into the respectable ABInBev/Mega-Beer hating community?
PS, I have a side hustle where I secretly stock grocery store shelves with out of date beer from the UK. Its my way of achieving " AB Ueber Alles"

Let's see... maybe send us some (good) beer to make amends.

Getting beers fresh from the UK is all but impossible. Unless you've got an in with an importer you're pretty much not gonna find it.

Has nothing to do with AB-InBev.

Fullers is big enough that they're easier than most to find fresh. I've seen other smaller brands that are far worse. Golden Ales that are YEARS out of code. Saw a Bitter on store shelves, the date code was 10 years prior (didn't specify BB or BO date so I assume BB).

I wonder if this is a ploy by the big guns (InBev, Miller/Coors, et al) to purposely have out of date/crappy imports and craft beers so people will purchase InBev, Miller/Coors, et al swill?
Or those beers are less in-demand and this stay on shelves longer. That's not necessarily to say that craft beers and imports are in low demand overall, but there's a much greater variety in that segment than BMC so certain beers in those categories will take a while to sell.

Yes, the big brewers have more clout, especially in areas with arcane distribution laws, that gets them more shelf space. To suggest that they're actively putting out-of-date craft and imports on shelves is a bit out there, though, when there's a much more reasonable explanation.

Depending on the arrangements of the stores involved, I wouldn't necessarily blame AB-InBev on this. Some stores have an in-house person there to take care of these things, some rely on the reps / delivery drivers for stock / removal of old.
The agreements between AB and most retailers have to do with locations of the stock and how much - X number of doors / bays for AB products, endcaps and so on, not specifically keeping old product from other places on. (not to say if the other breweries use the AB house distro, they may not do something underhanded; that's on the distro themselves, and not part of the agreements)
That said, it does fall on the distro from Fullers to make sure they are providing fresh product, and whatever the agreement is between them and Fullers to live up to those standards.

Latest posts

Back